Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
WolfForever
ronwolf1705
6 posters

First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

secret - First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster Empty First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster

Post by WolfForever Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm playing Countdown to Disaster by Gary Ragland right now, but while I know it's on Floor 2, I can't find the first secret exit. There's a door on one of the sides of the starting room (the northwest side, I believe) that requires the one key I don't have (three of four keys are needed to exit that level normally), and I've searched the entire map excruciatingly at least three times over for secrets which could contain the hidden fourth key that would allow access into that area but can't find it. And I know I'm missing something, because my secrets never register above 50% or so even after making sure I've pressed on every single wall within my reach. Does anyone have guidance as to how to reach this secret exit? - if so it would be appreciated.
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

secret - First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster Empty Re: First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster

Post by Dean Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I've sent you an email on how to do this, hope it helps.

For those that don't know here's how you do it.
    - Go immediately left at the start of the level but don't immediately go into the next room. Wait until you hear the guard open the door and then run in and shoot him so that he dies in the doorway.
    - Go and do the rest of the level but don't flick the normal elevator, come back to this door.
    - Go through and follow around to a large treasure room. On the east side is a secret go through there and then you come to another small treasure room, go through this, then another then another then you'll come to the secret exit.

I beleive this is the only way to be able to finish the level and access the secret.

Thomas will know this level a lot better than me so will be able to explain if there is a hidden key or another way to do it.

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!
    WolfForever

secret - First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster Empty Re: First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster

Post by WolfForever Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 am

Thanks for this reply Smile (both here and in email), I tried it and I'm on the secret level now. It has the Pacman music. I had to reply Floor 2 but not a big deal - very creative trick you must use and if I review the mod the author will get credit for that.

BTW though - what makes you think Thomas will know it better?
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by ronwolf1705 Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:28 pm

WolfForever wrote:BTW though - what makes you think Thomas will know it better?

I'm not Dean, but I know Thomas is a Gary Ragland fan. Wink

secret - First secret exit in Coundown to Disaster MMCS0206
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Yes, Ron is correct, this is one of Thomas' favourite mods and he has a phenomenal memory for levels and the best way to play them.

WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:48 pm

I thought Thomas's favorite Wolf3D addon was Totengraeber (for Spear, mpixsod). Might be wrong though.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:47 am

Dean wrote:I've sent you an email on how to do this, hope it helps.

For those that don't know here's how you do it.
    - Go immediately left at the start of the level but don't immediately go into the next room. Wait until you hear the guard open the door and then run in and shoot him so that he dies in the doorway.
    - Go and do the rest of the level but don't flick the normal elevator, come back to this door.
    - Go through and follow around to a large treasure room. On the east side is a secret go through there and then you come to another small treasure room, go through this, then another then another then you'll come to the secret exit.

I beleive this is the only way to be able to finish the level and access the secret.

Thomas will know this level a lot better than me so will be able to explain if there is a hidden key or another way to do it.
    So this is the ill-the-guard-in-the-room-with-a-door-you-don't-have-the-key-to trick? Razz Sweet! I first saw this in Eod, so I tried to implement it in a few levels. Makes a secret truly hard to find.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 am

So this is the ill-the-guard-in-the-room-with-a-door-you-don't-have-the-key-to trick?

Brilliant method, but sometimes it's a real pain in the you-know-where to lure that guard out to open the door.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Well, if you test it and it works fine, no reason for it not too. From my tests, the trick works well every time.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:52 pm

WolfForever wrote:I thought Thomas's favorite Wolf3D addon was Totengraeber (for Spear, mpixsod). Might be wrong though.
    Probably is, but as i said 'this is ONE of Thomas' favourite mods'

Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:19 am

Sorry guys, I only played this game once in ancient times and didn't get further than level 2. I then ripped it off for use in a shabby add-on entitled "Purgatory". I know nothing about this game, sadly. But if this ever comes out in SDL I'll gladly try it out.

You should try Gary's "Episode Four". What a crispy set of maps.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Jonathan!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Chokster37 wrote:
    Thomas wrote:You should try Gary's "Episode Four". What a crispy set of maps.
    I completely agree. I made it to level 6 so far (I think), I spent a lot of time just absorbing the levels Very Happy It's like pizza, you want to save each level for a special occasion and reward yourself one level at a time and not overindulge the whole thing at once because it feels sacred. Really nice! Perhaps even Gary's best work.
    Can you eat it cold for breakfast also?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 am