Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
Nexion
doomjedi
6 posters

Escape From Castle Holle Released

Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Escape From Castle Holle Released Empty Escape From Castle Holle Released

Post by Schabbs Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Dean Horton has released 'Escape From Castle Holle'. There are 31 consecutive levels, plus 4 secret and 1 super secret levels, and they are all extensive and well designed/decorated. There's a mix of old and new graphics, plus new sounds and a changed music order. Code changes include a new ammo box, helpart and intermission screens. The gameplay is fast moving as most levels have a lot of guards. It all blends together quite well and keeps the Wolf 3D feel. Available http://www.brlowe.co.uk/EscapefromCastleHolle.zip .

Screenshots are at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/holle_pics1.htm .

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Escape From Castle Holle Released Empty Re: Escape From Castle Holle Released

Post by doomjedi Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I'll sure play it when I'll get home from work Smile
    lilmanjs
    lilmanjs
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1143
    Hobbie : playing wolf3d addons like crazy
    Registration date : 2007-04-17

Post by lilmanjs Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:19 pm

I love this mod. it has its own feel but still feels like something ID would have made.

Escape From Castle Holle Released TeamAardwolfV2PNG
    Escape From Castle Holle Released 57046cfmlabelbar
    Mods being worked on:
    The Mutant Uprising, Final Fight 2
    Mod ideas:
    Stargate SG-1 addon, Mega Man addon
    Team Aardwolf Mods:
    The Mutant Uprising, Ghost
    Mods being worked on with other people:
    Return to Castle Hollehammer with Raziel A. (Karharis)
    Award winning mods:
    The Final Fight
    Henry Irons
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male
    Number of posts : 50
    Job : Teacher
    Hobbie : making fonts, digital video conversion from analog VHS, basketball, p2p
    Registration date : 2007-12-16

Post by Henry Irons Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 am

Dean, I'm going to give your game a try as a knife mod. I don't plan to do an elaborate story, as with The Final Fight, but if I do like it, I'll do the saved games as at end of floors, keys, bosses, etc.
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Post by Dean Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Peter, sure no problems. If you have any questions about anything either ask them in here or send me a PM or an email and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I haven't tried playing with only the knife so couldn't tell you about it's playability in that format but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I have a zip of all the maps if you'd like me to send it to you. There's also quite a detailed wiki page for it which has some info about the mod that might help.

Escape from Castle Holle Wiki page
    Henry Irons
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male
    Hobbie : making fonts, digital video conversion from analog VHS, basketball, p2p

Post by Henry Irons Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks for the offer, Dean, but I would never look at a map before playing the game. It would ruin my experience of encountering the opponents without prior knowledge, then determining the strategy of how to defeat them with minimum force. My way of playing takes a lot longer than most people, which is why I don't play a lot of different mods, and I decide early on if I want to continue beyond the first floor or two.

I've been making new fonts lately, so I haven't had much time for new Wolf games. I'm sure I spent between 150 and 200 hours on The Final Fight, including doing the annotations, writing the storyline, saving and labelling the saved games, and all the attempts to solve each scenario before I met with success.

Sometimes I had to try the same scenario many, many times before I could kill all opponents while maintaining maximum health. I was at 109% briefly on one of the floors, only because I saved the game without noticing that, and I didn't want to have to repeat an extremely difficult sequence again, just to not lose a health point.

I play the game that way to attempt to prove that all floors can be completed if your avatar is killed, and you have to go back to the pistol and minimum ammo compliment. There appeared to be only one floor in the entire mod where that could not be done, without significant health damage. It's the floor where there are multiple guards at the start in a wood panelled corridor with one facing straight on, and many more around the corners to the right and left.

I also like the idea of killing around six to nine thousand Nazis barehanded, without suffering as much as a scratch. That's why Henry Irons' middle name is Conan. For all intents and purposes, he's Marv from the Sin City comic books, transposed into a Wolfenstein game.

I realize that there are probably only a dozen or so people who have any interest in my contribution to the Wolfenstein community, but I have no problem with that. I just wanted to make what I wrote worth the time spent for those who read it, when they could have been doing something else instead. I wrote the story almost as it happened, (usually I completed a floor before writing the strategy notes), and the supplemental storyline was written as I completed the episodes. I was pleased with the way that everything came together logically and consistently from beginning to end.

To use an example from the book and film versions of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, consider the Dizzy Flores character. Dizzy is mentioned only in passing in the book, but is a major character in the film. I did that with George Herman. I wrote my storyline in such a way that it complimented lilmanjs' Read This! story, my own experiences in defeating the mod, and the reasons why BJ was involved, but only obliquely. It all made sense, including the name of the mod, while at the same time I was able to provide background and character development of BJ, Henry, and those in command.

Maybe someone might want to do a mod about an adventure of the Scorpion Squad during the Banana Wars, or Operation Ajax, which was so difficult that three members were killed. Maybe the mysterious 'Jordan' might pop up somewhere in the timeline, possibly even as a villian, who has changed allegiance. I doubt that any of my storyline conflicts with the established BJ historical canon. If anyone wants to use any of my characters, by all means do so, except you can't kill Henry. No one could.
    Henry Irons
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male

Post by Henry Irons Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 pm

btw, I love the sound on this mod, Dean.
    Henry Irons
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male

Post by Henry Irons Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:40 am

Dean, If would appreciate it if you could let me know, by PM, only two pieces of information: Which floors contain opponents within secret areas, and which floors contain a secret elevator. I don't need or want to know in advance where those secret areas are to be found.

My intention is to play Castle Holle in knife mode, and I want the 100% kill bonus for every floor, but I don't have the time or interest to go looking for treasure, and I don't expect to need the health powerups. I may find it necessary to look for secrets where their location would give me a tactical advantage in hand-to-hand combat, but I don't want you to tell me about any of those in advance.

I completed the first floor with little difficulty. The graphics look very good, the map was logical, and I definitely felt the spirit of the original. One expects the level of difficulty to increase with successive floors. I just don't have the time to test the perimeter of each floor to look for objects that I won't need.

I'll be saving the locations of keys and exit elevators, and when a boss is encountered. Anyone who wants to go for secrets or treasure bonus can use my end of floor saved games to find those things themselves.

Thanks,

HCI
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Peter, Sorry, i have been overseas for the past 3 weeks and have only gotten home last night. I have just PM'd you the requested details. Let me know if there's anything else you need Smile

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!
    Henry Irons
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male

Post by Henry Irons Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Dean, I'm sorry, but I can't play this one. I saved the game at the end of floor 1, with 100% kill, no secrets, and only the treasure I found while clearing the rooms, and the game dies on my computer when I try to go to the second floor. I spoke with Brian about this while you were away, and sent him a copy of my saved game file. He said it worked ok on his computer, but it won't work on mine. If you want to test my saved game for bugs, you can download it here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/42099747/cd70f67f/SAVEGAM1.html?dirPwdVerified=e7e61360

I liked the look of this one, and the sounds, and there was a reasonable challenge on floor 1, but my computer doesn't seem to like it, for some reason.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male

Post by Schabbs Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:38 am

Maybe it would be worthwhile to play the first level on a lower difficulty level and see if that works as it is probably the large number of guards on level 2 which is causing the error.

The mod crashed out on my computer on level 2 when I played the first version, though it worked on most other peoples computers, but when Dean reduced the guards on level 2 it was ok on mine. Maybe the guards need to be reduced a little more to work on yours.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Post by Nexion Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 am

I also get the error on the highest difficulty level. It seems that there is one too many enemies. 
    Henry Irons
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male

Post by Henry Irons Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:40 am

That wouldn't work for me, because I always play at the highest level of difficulty, with minimum weapons compliment. I never use cheats or maps. That would spoil the fun for me.
    lilmanjs
    lilmanjs
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by lilmanjs Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:56 pm

wasn't a new version of the mod released not long after it first came out?

Mods being worked on:
    Mod ideas:
    Team Aardwolf Mods:
    Award winning mods:
    The Final Fight
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male

Post by Schabbs Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:17 pm

lilmanjs wrote:wasn't a new version of the mod released not long after it first came out?

Yes, At least one guard was taken off and it worked for me after that. Henri has the new version though.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    lilmanjs
    lilmanjs
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by lilmanjs Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:18 pm

yea that's what I thought. I did download the new version when it came out and it worked fine for me also.

Mods being worked on:
    Mod ideas:
    Team Aardwolf Mods:
    Award winning mods:
    The Final Fight
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi. Hmmmm, never came across this with the re-issue and my testers and I tested on all difficulties as well. I thought I had this 100% bug free.

If you'd like Henry I can send you another version with a couple more guards taken out of each level. I would prefer not to make the change on the full release copy though unless someone else can replicate the error. I've downloaded your saved game so I'll test that, in fact I'll try playing through Level 1 with just the knife on the highest difficulty (something I haven't tried) and let you know if I get the same error Tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:20 pm