Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

Victory of Faith released

Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1660
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Victory of Faith released

Post by Thomas on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:16 am

Funny how all of a sudden we get the great Ipank's new mod as well as a revamp of the Mapset thing that I had long wanted to see released by Ron - both in the same month! The usually dreary January suddenly seems exciting - and in a Wolf3D community more than 20 years after the original game's release... Wow!

Here is my fuel to the fire. Victory of Faith, my first mod in more than 2 years (see below) is now out. Andy did the coding which was flawless, of course, and this mod took me up and down but nevertheless has helped me get back on track in terms of making mods and maps again. This was started in December 2013 and finished off this week, but the lifeblood of this has been boiling for longer than that. Allow me to clarify below;

In my view, my last true release has been Thomas Wolfenstein 3-D. Anything conceived after this, whether it may have been in 2012 or 2014 is nevertheless closely related in spirit. The Iron Dream was a project I could not complete to my satisfaction at the time, so I gave up prematurely after making 7 levels, but the lifeblood of this particular project lives on in Victory of Faith. Likewise, as this mod uses the original Wolfs storyline, albeit loosely, the 4 levels made for Spear of Destiny Mission Pack - Return to Danger which eventually morphed into a shareware map set entitled Guten Tag as a slightly pathetic afterthought are together with The Iron Dream's original levels included in this mod. Abandon III started off as an experiment, to see whether or not I still had any ideas in me after my longest break in Wolf modding ever, which took 10 months. This has also been edited into this mod.

Some of you may cringe at the very thought of playing some of my levels over again - but, the fact of the matter is that these are my projects and I am in full control of what I want to do with it. Many of the more freeform Abandon III levels have been edited to fit, and play out totally different than those of Abandon III. With the release of Victory of Faith, I would like to publicly dismiss and renounce the following projects:

The Iron Dream
    Guten Tag!
    Abandon III

In my view, as releases, these mods never existed. All mods were merely a playground for me, "drafts" somewhat, only released based on little patience (at the time) and an almost obsessive compulsive striving in having 20 mods out all in all. Though the first two are still readily available from the Dome, I prefer them taken down. Abandon III was self-released, I still cannot recall where it was uploaded and how, but all I know is that I removed the link two or three months after posting it. I am still unaware of the amount of publicity this got, and how many people played it, but nevertheless, it is no longer considered a true project in my mind as its maps appear in Victory of Faith some pretty much as they appeared in Abandon III and some radically altered with ample reason.

The Iron Dream included maps from previous projects, including Wolf Overkill, along with the 8 new levels - the 7 originals plus 1 level from a discarded Spear map set also conceived after my map set had been conceived - in Victory of Faith, I have of course only used these 8 new levels. They suit the idea behind this project, Victory of Faith, which started with The Iron Dream. I could not see through the end back then. Stability in projects was a challenge for me then, a mods genesis and general idea would only stick with me for a month or even less. Countless starts and stops of various projects were taken between 2011 and 2013.

I am aware that the above mentioned sets appear in my Mapping Anthologys chronology. Along with an old 2009 draft of Wolf Overkill, perhaps I should have reconsidered including these. But it is not something I look at with regret now my only regret would be if people actually count these as official releases of mine, even after Victory of Faith has been released. I sincerely hope you all will respect my decision.

With this, I would also like to single out my mapping anthology as not being representative as such of my work. I worked out this massive document as an outlet, a pacifier of sorts, as it brought back fond memories of my past modding and mapping experience.

So for the first time in more than two years, I am glad to present to you my newest project.

This opus was written half a year ago. I have always regretted having released The Iron Dream, Guten Tag and Abandon III but I beg you to look at this project with fresh eyes - 37 out of the 60 levels are brand new and not used in anything before - and as mentioned, a handful of these maps are used in a wholly different fashion, some are hard to recognize (especially those from Abandon III)... Stylistically, maps differ as some were made in 2012 and some in 2015... Some I had more fun making than others... Episode 5, for example, was the first time in a long, long while where I was looking forward to making the next map, full with ideas and even being able to pop out more than 1 a day (which used to be standard)... I just had a ball making this, is all.

See for yourself; the style is, of course, close to the original but virtually all music, sprites and textures have been changed. A lot of sounds too. Quite frankly, I think all sounds are changed! It's much more slick and modern in terms of look - I thought I had to pull something off for once that isn't all vanilla. Additionally, I had no issues doing so, though this usually kills my inspiration.

That was all I had to say. I know it's been ages since I've put out anything proper, but I had to get back on the horse somehow after ten odd years of relentless mod making. I sincerely hope you'll enjoy playing this - competing with Ipank and Ron's newest mods is a tough task, but worth it!

doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1337
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Re: Victory of Faith released

Post by doomjedi on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:08 am

Great!

Anything you do enters my playlist automatically. A bit of busy times for me...but I'll sure play it when I'll get the time.

Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 332
    Hobbie : Video and Wolf 3D mode making
    Registration date : 2014-08-04

Post by Officer-Michael John on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 am

Hey Thomas.
    This new mod of The Iron Dream mode your reminder.I 've tried mode.
    I like the way. There are some good ideas.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:23 pm

I always thought that E3L10/E5L10 music from Corridor 7 would make an epic boss tune.

linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 159
    Hobbie : Games
    Registration date : 2011-12-25

Post by linuxwolf on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:10 pm

I am playing this mod and thoroughly enjoying it. Up to level 4. The music and wall art makes me feel like I am in a Doom level - not a bad thing.

You got the ammo/health and enemy balance just right in this. I'm not beefed up on health and ammo at all. Always under 70 health and 40 ammo. I will play this one through to the end.

Thanks for making the mod.

Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:00 am

@linuxwolf wrote:You got the ammo/health and enemy balance just right in this. I'm not beefed up on health and ammo at all. Always under 70 health and 40 ammo. I will play this one through to the end.
    This was just what I was aiming for. I want the player to have fun, but also it shouldn't be too easy.

linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:06 am

I'm loving the dog/knife action. You can't afford to waste any ammo so killing dogs simply unavoidable. And thanks for putting my favourite tune from RTCW into L6. Smile

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:30 am

Every time I see those Officers I'm like "Holy sh*t, it's Officer-Michael John!"... but apparently it isn't. Suspect Laughing

Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:37 am

Nah, I nicked that from Coming of the Storm. Probably the best officer guard out there.

linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:06 am

2-0 was excellent. I'm still having fun with this mod.

The Tyrells
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2015-04-25

Post by The Tyrells on Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I think there is problem in 5-9. I checked every wall and room but there is no Exit Elevator. Only I can see one Exit Elevator but it is blocked by yellow drum Sad I can't finish the stage!!Please fix this problem. Thanks

Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas on Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 am

I'm fairly certain that is a tease. There is an elevator exit in that level. Just keep searching...

The Tyrells
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by The Tyrells on Fri May 29, 2015 8:56 am

Tease? Seriously? I don't have time to tease this game or wandering around to find non-exist-available elevator either. I spent 30min to searching the elevator. Yeah, There is an elevator. Problem is that elevator is blocked by yellow drum!!
    I downloaded this mods and played very well so far. Very Good mods with not-zombieland.
    Personally I don't like zombies. I think you adjust their power but I have to attention cause of
    lack of foods or ammo. Fair Enough.
    I think your balance control is brilliant.
    Why would I tease this mods?
    I can send you my saving files if you want. My ears are buzzing cuz of pushing walls.

Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas on Fri May 29, 2015 9:24 am

Go back to the opening room. Look behind you... Voila.

And I am not implying YOU are teasing, it is ME who is teasing YOU as I placed that decoy elevator behind locked door/key 4 --- again, go back to the opening room and the pressure should be relieved.

The Tyrells
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by The Tyrells on Sat May 30, 2015 7:29 pm

OMG...Sorry for my whining. Thx.

Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 332
    Hobbie : Video and Wolf 3D mode making
    Registration date : 2014-08-04

Post by Officer-Michael John on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:36 am

Seriously what is wrong is that I jigsaw puzzle image? Does it matter to him? I did not know Thomas is my picture symbolizes myself that the wearing of the ' I like you. And cool mod!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:26 pm

Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:26 pm