Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting?

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Would a Wolfenstein 3D board game be interesting? I might make one since I am releasing monthly maps now. Wolfenstein 3D the Board Game is a good name for it since it still uses the sprites from the game in board game form. This game will be available as a pintable version as well as PC game version.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty Re: Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting?

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Nobody plays board games anymore kk.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    serpens
    serpens
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-01-11

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty Re: Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting?

Post by serpens Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:08 am

Dark_wizzie wrote:Nobody plays board games anymore kk.
    Last time I checked, Avalon Hill weren't out of business yet.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:35 am

I would love a hollow board to make access for secret doors lol. And would the players be maneuvering the robed Hitler across the board themselves, making sounds and all that? Sounds kinda lame. Yeah, I'd do it. Nevertheless it is a good idea for a board game... Heaven knows that business needs some spicing up.

I can imaging doing the "piw piw" noises for the missile bosses. Good times

Post by Guest Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:49 am

I could see this being a board game/role playing game with multiple players. The players would be playing on the Allies side and helping each other out. The bosses and enemies would appear at different locations on a board. I could see this game having to reuse the board 60 times since a finish on a board could be a floor completed.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1775
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty I play board games

Post by stathmk Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:04 pm

I play board games, Rubik's cubes, and do jigsaw puzzles with 1000 or less pieces.  I have Ripley's Believe It Or Not (Trivia), Labyrinth (based on the Jennifer Connolly movie), Scene It, Trivial Pursuit, and others.  I play Pac-Man, Sorry, Battleship, and Chutes and Ladders with my niece.  The Pac-Man game is fun because the 4 Pac-Man hollow puck things eat the 100 or so white and 4 yellow marbles.  My parents are bored out of their mind with the idea of me playing the board game RISK with them.  So I play the RISK, RISK II, and Civilization III computer game versions.  There's a Da Vinci Code board game!

My sister's husband gets together with his old high school buddies and their wives once a year to play a game somewhat like Dungeons and Dragons.  I reminds me that there's was a computer game with depth like Rise of The Triad, but no animation.  It was surreal.  If you like fantasy like Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, and Pirates of Dark Water, then you might have liked it about 20 years ago.  It had good graphics, but lame play control.  You are such-and-such monster warrior with a certain amount of hit points, a certain amount of health, a certain amount of stamina, and a certain amount of wisdom.  I thought that a random number generator code combination determined the likelihood that you would win a swordfight.  It sounds like a game that Sheldon Cooper would like.  I don't want Wolfenstein going down that road to become a board game like Dungeons and Dragons. EDIT: I don't know how I had forgotten to mention that the 3D game without animation was Moraff's World or Moraff's Dungeon.

I think that when I was in my Management and/or Sociology class that I learned that board games play a larger part in Germany than in the USA partly because their video games are censored.  They have some intense focus groups about what to change in board games.  In German, the instruction booklet for a game has the word "invade" replaced with "liberate."  Germany has strict computer game censorship laws.  The WolfenDoom secret levels were taken out of German Doom II.  You can have video games in Germany where you shoot robots, aliens, or zombies, but not people.

JPB, I once found only one copy of The Doom board game on the internet.  It's expensive.  Don't bother creating a Wolfenstein board game because I don't think that it will take off.  There's a Lego Minotaur maze board game.  EDIT:  I meant that I might buy the Lego Minotaur maze board game.

I think that it's drdanick.com where drdanick or Lego Wolf printed out the Wolfenstein 3D wall sprites, attached them to cardboard almost professionally, with Lego William Blazcowics or the mutant, and photographed it.  It only reminds me of board games.

I thought that I sent JPB the Strife abandonware one year.  Strife is a Doom clone with interactions and Role Playing Game elements.

JPB, do you know what I would like?  Look at crossword puzzle makers at download.com.  Make a crossword puzzle with Wolfenstein 3D mod names, Spear of Destiny mod names, Wolf3D clone names, and Doom clone names as answers.  I'd try to solve it.  That would be a game that I'd be interested in playing if there were 30 to 60 answers.  I'm older than you, so in school we made crossword puzzles of Science, vocabulary, and spelling words by pencil and by photocopier before computers were more practical and affordable.

Last edited by stathmk on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty Mousetrap board game, Rube Goldberg Competition, & lost causes

Post by stathmk Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Mousetrap board game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJr2SdyLGk

There's a Rube Goldberg Competition every year at Purdue University in Indiana.  I only saw it, but I wasn't on a team.  The competition is to have as many steps as possible for the objective.  One year the objective might be to zip a zipper.  Another year it would be something like activating a mouse trap.  David Letterman was a newscaster in Indiana, and likes to sometimes have The Rube Goldberg competition winners on his show.

I just remembered something.  I made a Wolfenstein 3D Pac-Man level digitally out of Legos with soldiers, ghosts, guns, and elevator switches for Wolfenstein Goodies in 2010.  Nobody showed any interest in buying it, and not even one person.  I doubt if anybody would show any interest in a Wolfenstein board game.  Parker Brothers, Milton Bradley, or whichever company can obviously reject ideas.  There was a prototype board game with Charlie Brown and Snoopy by somebody.  For whatever reason, they didn't mass produce it.  Maybe focus groups didn't like it.  Let's be real here, JPB.  Some ideas are lost causes.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Thomas wrote:I would love a hollow board to make access for secret doors lol. And would the players be maneuvering the robed Hitler across the board themselves, making sounds and all that? Sounds kinda lame. Yeah, I'd do it. Nevertheless it is a good idea for a board game... Heaven knows that business needs some spicing up.

I can imaging doing the "piw piw" noises for the missile bosses. Good times
    The sound effect for rocket launchers in Wolf3d makes NO SENSE at all. Then again, same with the pushwall sound, lol.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty The Hunger Games board game

Post by stathmk Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:33 pm

The Hunger Games board game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BK6YeSw-3Q
    I thought I had heard in it that, “The fastest way to a boy’s heart is between the third and fourth ribs with a sharp arrow.”
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty ...forget about the crossword puzzle program.

Post by stathmk Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:00 pm

stathmk wrote:
    ...JPB, do you know what I would like?  Look at crossword puzzle makers at download.com.  Make a crossword puzzle with Wolfenstein 3D mod names, Spear of Destiny mod names, Wolf3D clone names, and Doom clone names as answers.  I'd try to solve it.  That would be a game that I'd be interested in playing if there were 30 to 60 answers.  I'm older than you, so in school we made crossword puzzles of Science, vocabulary, and spelling words by pencil and by photocopier before computers were more practical and affordable.
    OK.  JPB, if you're still reading this, then forget about the crossword puzzle program.  It's my idea, so I should be obligated to do it.  I want to have it done in less than a year and post it.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty This is the closest thing that I could find to a RTCW board game

Post by stathmk Sat May 30, 2015 7:04 pm

This is the closest thing that I could find to a RTCW board game:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HourofGlory/info
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty Doom 4 board game

Post by stathmk Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:28 pm

There's going to be a Bethesda Doom 4 board game.
    https://bethesda.net/en/article/14PWBShxzCUC0I6OmoE8EI/bethesda-s-2016-holiday-gift-guide
    http://store.bethsoft.com/doom-the-board-game
    My reaction is, "Ho, hum."

EDIT: It's $80.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty The 7th Guest board game?

Post by stathmk Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:08 pm

The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour, and Clandestiny are games made by Trilobyte in the 1990s.  Trilobyte actually rivaled ID Software in the 1990s.  The 7th Guest was groundbreaking for 1992 and was on 2 CD-Roms.

Henry Stauf from The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour is a ghostly man in about the 1930s who didn’t die yet.  His victims and the tuberculosis victims seemed to have their souls go into the dolls that he made.  He’s so deliciously evil!

Anyways, I thought that if you liked 1990s games like Wolfenstein 3D, then you might like The 7th Guest board game:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roblanderos/the-7th-guest-board-game

There’s also a fan-made computer game in the works at http://the13thdoll.com/ or on Facebook.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty It takes $18,000 for a board game

Post by stathmk Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:38 pm

On August 18 of this year, I think that it was the last day of Gen Con Indianapolis.  Gen Con is where they play board games somewhat like Risk, Magic, and Dungeons and Dragons.  So on August 18, I thought that I had heard on the radio somebody from Gen Con Indianapolis promoting his board game on a web site a lot like Kickstarter.  He said that it takes $18,000 to develop, mass produce, and advertise a board game.  You also must have a prototype.

When I had first read this post on June 13, 2014 then I misunderstood that Joshua was actually going to spend time, money, and resources to develop a Wolfenstein 3D board game.  I thought that if somebody was going to make a Wolfenstein 3D or Spear of Destiny board game then it could be a copyright infringement since ID Software and FormGen own the copyrights.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Would a Wolfenstein 3D Board Game be interesting? Empty There's going to be a Wolfenstein board game

Post by stathmk Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:07 pm

There's going to be a Wolfenstein board game apparently based on the later games: http://dhw.wolfenstein3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=8423

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am