Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
stathmk
JDMGD0
6 posters

Hello

reflex17
    reflex17
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Male
    Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-01-29

Goodies - Hello Empty Hello

Post by reflex17 Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Greetings one and all from a long-time wolfer!  Very Happy 

So nice to see such a talented and passionate group of people still working on a game I've enjoyed for so many years... I first played wolf3d in grade 6 when my friend gave me a copy of the shareware episode on floppy disk. (Hey if you press MIL it gives you all the guns and keys!)

I remember back then thinking how cool it would be to make your own levels for the game, I used to draw out maps on graph paper in hopes of one day finding an editor that would let me make my own dungeons to run around in. Fast forward to that day at my cousin's in '94 or so when we found MAPEDIT and opened the .exe to see that overhead view of E1M1 for the first time.

Over the years I've made maps for Wolf3d and SoD, as well as other games like Doom, Heretic, Duke3d and Quake 2, but regretfully never released anything to the public and my old maps are lost to the mists of time... I still make maps though, I'm currently working on a map series for Duke, and I've also again recently picked up my interest in mapping for the Wolf3d generation of games. At the moment I'm putting finishing touches on the last level of a 6 map Spear of Destiny demo to introduce myself to the community Smile  Levels 1 through 4 and the secret level are complete, I only have to finish the last part of the boss map before it is ready for release.

I plan to continue on and make a full campaign, but I am eager to see the opinions of the veterans I see here! 
    Is there anyone I can email the file to when it's finished, so that the community can give it a go? I suppose the filesize would be small enough for an attachment, anyway.

Just wanted to say hi and seeyou soon, keep on wolfin'!  Firing a Gun  (nice smilies here btw lol)
    JDMGD0
    JDMGD0
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Number of posts : 94
    Job : Professional Napper
    Hobbie : Napping of course :P
    Registration date : 2013-06-21

Goodies - Hello Empty Re: Hello

Post by JDMGD0 Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 am

Hey, first of all welcome to ze forums! Hope you like the ride!

Nice story ya got here. I myself had a similar one but I suck big time at mapping Razz

Regarding your last question, you can post it here, you can send it to the Wolfenstein 3D Dome (though the maintainer currently has a health problem and most likely won't be able to post your maps to his site), or send it to the Wolfenstein Goodies. A quick google search should lead you to the sites, and it shouldn't be very difficult to find the person to email the file (I'm so lazy I won't post links here xD).

Let's think of a siggy... Well, I'd rather nap... :O
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1778
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Goodies - Hello Empty Wolfenstein Goodies

Post by stathmk Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:08 am

reflex17 wrote:...I remember back then thinking how cool it would be to make your own levels for the game, I used to draw out maps on graph paper in hopes of one day finding an editor that would let me make my own dungeons to run around in. Fast forward to that day at my cousin's in '94 or so when we found MAPEDIT and opened the .exe to see that overhead view of E1M1 for the first time. ...
    Dungeons like the medieval type?  Medieval by Majik Monkey has medieval theme graphics something like Heretic or Hexen.  Email him to ask for permission to use the graphics.

I'm glad that you're making your own maps.  I'm not going to post anybody's plagiarized maps made after 1994 or any more randomly generated maps.

In the 1990s, a French language web site posted Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny mods.  It's down and I don't know of anyplace besides archive.org to find it.  Then Brian (Schabbs on wolf3d.darkbb.com) in England operated Wolfenstein 3D Dome news at wolfenstein3d.co.uk/news .

I run wolfensteingoodies.com and a jpg of my email address is at the top of my web page.  I didn't want more spambots to scan my web page or the forums anymore to send strange messages so I made a jpg that only humans can read.  Email me your maps.  I have files for every day lined up for February 1 to 8 and I need to put the finishing touches in the newsletter up this week.  Then I have another week's worth of files for February 16 to 22.  Then I'll post your file after asking you some questions about it.  I try not to post the file the same day anymore because sometimes people email me the next day that they've updated the file.

There's also diehardwolfers.areyep.com forums.  Don't take it too seriously if they won't let you join.  They block yahoo.com, netscape.net, and other email addresses for spam reasons.

Duke Nukem 3D?  There's a Castle Dukenstein episode on The Other Computer Games Engines page: http://wolfensteingoodies.com/wolfensteingoodies/ocge.htm
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1778
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Goodies - Hello Empty Do you need me to copy from your disks?

Post by stathmk Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:57 am

reflex17 wrote:...Over the years I've made maps for Wolf3d and SoD, as well as other games like Doom, Heretic, Duke3d and Quake 2, but regretfully never released anything to the public and my old maps are lost to the mists of time... I still make maps though, I'm currently working on a map series for Duke, and I've also again recently picked up my interest in mapping for the Wolf3d generation of games. At the moment I'm putting finishing touches on the last level of a 6 map Spear of Destiny demo to introduce myself to the community Smile  Levels 1 through 4 and the secret level are complete, I only have to finish the last part of the boss map before it is ready for release. ...
    Lost to the mists of time?  Or you you mean that you can find the files but they are on disks?  If they are on disks, then email me and we'll talk about if it's worth it to mail disks to me:
    https://wolf3d.darkbb.com/t2854-iomega-zip-and-35-in-disk-data
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 am

Hi, welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 am

you had me at Hello Smile Smile
    reflex17
    reflex17
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Male
    Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-01-29

Post by reflex17 Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 am

Hey thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! Smile

Stathmk - When I said dungeons I just meant levels, in a thematic sense :DAlthough I do really like the medieval setting too, when I map for Wolf I usually don't edit the graphics, I might one day but it would be custom by me or adapted from the Wolf3d tiles.

Thankyou for your offer to have my maps on your site! I will email them to you when they are finished, though I will probably also make a thread here for screenshots/release here as an attachment, they will be finished very soon.

When I refer to old maps, sadly the are the very old ones that I've lost from my childhood, they don't exist anymore except in memory  Sad  lol ah well

I tried to register at DHW, then I saw on here about the block on certain domains, it's understandable - I found the thread on here that it's O.K to pm users who are mods over there? I suppose we'll see what happens Smile

Again thx all, good to be here  Smile

Last edited by reflex17 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:45 am

hey reflex17,

PM me here and I'll get you into DHW. We'll have to do things manually, but it can be done.

I'm moderator Andy_Nonymous on DHW.

Andy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm