Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft Empty Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft

Post by WolfForever Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Apparently over 90 percent of the sixty levels in RTCW 3D are from serpens' 'Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions' mapset. This I noticed when taking a glance at the maps in ChaosEdit. I contacted serpens (on DHW) and according to him they were lifted without permission and he is not credited for the maps anywhere at all. So I feel a thread/message is in order to point out this unacceptable map plagiarism.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft Empty Re: Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft

Post by WolferCooker Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:27 pm

And the guy still refuses to give credit where it's due?

WolfForever

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft Empty Re: Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D: Map theft

Post by WolfForever Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:36 pm

@WolferCooker I've never seen these authors anywhere on the forums, and as far as I know they haven't released anything else, so it's perfectly possible they might never (or not yet) see that they've been caught and maybe they aren't even in the community at all anymore. But regardless...

If you, as an author, have a modification you want to share and are not up to the task of making new maps for this, there are multiple things you can do that would be appropriate:
    1. Don't include GAMEMAPS/MAPHEAD files and instruct the user to supply their own.
    2. Ask another author for permission to use their maps, and if permission is obtained, credit that author explicitly in the text and/or 'Read This!'.
    3. If you made a couple maps you want to share with the game (as it appears there are between 2 and 5 in this case), and you cannot attain proper permission to use another author's maps to fill the other slots (giving them credit, of course), then include a GAMEMAPS/MAPHEAD file and state which levels you made new maps on. If necessary, fill the other maps with a 'filler map' (i.e. something with simply a start and an exit switch), or if you really feel you NEED to have maps in all the slots, use Creator (and state you used it). Any of that is far more appropriate than stealing.
    4. See if other members in the community (or someone else you know) have (has) any interest in making levels for the mod.

Regardless of what the case, stealing maps, let alone almost an entire mapset, to use as a base for your mod is utterly dishonest and unacceptable, and totally inexcusable because obviously you know you did it. This definitely joins the list of worst Wolfenstein-related plagiarisms I've seen...
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Sorry for double post, but here's the link the the game's official forum thread (ARCADES3D):

http://www.arcades3d.com/forosmf/index.php?topic=14414.0

And there's a link to a YouTube promotion video and Blogspot page as well in the post.

p.s. Pure coincidence, but this weekend happens to be the one-year anniversary of the mod's release! It was put up on March 3, 2012 and this Sunday (still about an hour away where I live) is March 3, 2013.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I saw the youtube video of it a few times already.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 am

Well I noticed the language their sites are in is Spanish, so I used Google Translate and posted right on their blog and YouTube video pointing out in Spanish language what they did. Wonder if this will catch their attention...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am