Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

What are the best full Wolf3D mapsets ever released?

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Wolf3d - What are the best full Wolf3D mapsets ever released? Empty What are the best full Wolf3D mapsets ever released?

Post by WolfForever Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Looking for possibly a top five or so here. I'm looking for pure 60-level mapsets, that completely keep the original feel intact. A cosmetic change like ceiling colors or intermission is no problem, now are a few VSWAP modifications (especially if they are enhancements) but that's about the limit. Mine are possibly at this time (not in any particular order):

-Conflict in the Fatherland: Classic for well over a decade now, and the reason is apparent - not only does this maintain every aspect of the original but it makes it arguably even better. If you're a hardcore fab of exactly the progression the original had, this is your set. Nuff said.

-Acktung/Acktung 2: It's ack. Need I say more? Well they both have 60 awesome maps. Double the maps, double the fun. These are potent sources for inspiration too.

-DHW SDL Mapset: Eight excellent authors; what can go wrong? Not much. It's got the goods, beginning to end, map by map. I think these DHW SDL sets are the best mapping every put into community projects.

-W.O.L.F.: Well again Thomas doesn't fail to deliver. I knew either this or his 2012 mapset would belong here, but this has that little bit of extra quality that gives it the secure spot.

-5th place, not entirely sure. I may have missed an obvious one, but of all the ones I can think of there's just too many close calls. Ipank, Trilogy/Nocturnal, a WolfBel set...you get the picture. Probably if I could just squeak Golden Episode by as a mapset, that's my pick. But calling TGE just a mapset seems like a bi of a stretch.

For what it's worth, I have a best five 21-level for Spear as well, although it's optional to this thread:

-Archives: No brainer, they are by ack. Lots of different designs, and again, double the levels for double the fun!

-This Spear: Takes inspiration from ack and I was quite happy with the end product as a tester.

-Alliance of Powers: Well let me just say that the two authors behind this, who I can't give the real names of, both know how to produce greatness. How can you go wrong? The answer: you can't! And that's why it is most definitely one for the list.

-Spearmpixsod: Arguably very overlooked, quality levels very true to the original SoD style. Want Conflict in the Fatherland for Spear this is probably the closest you'll find.

-DHW SDL SoD: Again, lots of great authors and effort put in here, and stays mostly true to the original. Like Wolf3D duds are extremely few and far between.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am