Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration Empty Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am

What timed levels on the original Wolfenstein 3D require the largest amounts of additional time to fully explore, versus the time required to just complete the level as quickly as possible? If you are confused as to what I'm asking, here's how it works:

1. Consider every level that gives a completion time when you finish. That is, everything except Floor 9 and Floor 10's - which makes 48 levels in total, every Floor 1-8. Except exclude E2L8 because of the Aardwolf maze, so really 47 levels in total.

2. Determine about how long it takes you to finish the level as quickly as possible (except don't use any secret shortcuts), and then about how long it takes to get 100% ratios. This can be through replaying both ways, but it doesn't have to be - if you're confident feel free to let your memory serve you. Smile

3. Take the difference between the two times. The levels that give you largest and smallest differences are the answers to the question. Note that the proportion between the two completion times is irrelevant (otherwise E2L7 would obviously be the winner here in the large category) - what matters is strictly the difference between the times and not the ratios.

4. A top three, top five, etc. on both ends of the spectrum is even better than a simple maximum/minimum, so feel free to list multiple that come to mind. Smile

Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration Empty Re: Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Sam!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WolfForever

Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration Empty Re: Longest/shortest differences between speed/exploration

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 pm

The only issue is the fastest run to the finish time has to be without any secret shortcuts, tricks (like getting a guard to open a locked door when that's not really supposed to happen), or other forms of "dumb luck". It has to be playing the way the level was presumably intended to be played - just as quickly as possible. I don't think the following times are possible without playing some sort of twist, usually I'd only envision them if you got a guard to open locked doors when that wasn't intended:

E1L6 0:12
    E1L7 0:19
    E2L4 0:32
    E2L8 0:20 (though that level doesn't matter anyways)
    E3L6 0:26
    E4L2 0:08
    E4L6 0:33
    E4L8 0:55 (this is possible with the secret shortcut and no other trickery, but secret shortcuts are disallowed as well)
    E5L3 0:06
    E5L4 0:13
    E5L5 0:32
    E5L7 0:23
    E5L8 0:24

And there may be others; those are just cases where my confidence level is at least 95% or so.

Is there a way to get best times that were done without any:
    1. Secret shortcuts; and
    2. Cases of enemies opening locked doors (except E4L7)?

Those would be the times to compare to.

Also how did Autobot manage E2L8 at all?...100% secrets and treasure in that level is absolutely impossible no matter what you do, even if you go for the "best you can" in the Aardwolf Maze. I do notice that 2048 (remove the colon) is 2^11 and bots/programs usually run with powers of 2 in mind; is that 20:48 simply saying Autobot reached its maximum time limited and then stopped running?

And yeah I can see what it would do on E3L7...find all the dead ends in the maze when there is absolutely nothing there, thus padding the time.

Cool experiment nonetheless. Smile

p.s. Regarding Episode 6, I'd think E6L8, even with secret shortcuts, would take over 2:00 to get through. Unless there's some way to get a guard to open the first locked door (that would allow you to skip the entire north half of the level). E6L4 seems possibly marginal for 2:00 as well. (Note that in addition, I am only considering the territory you much go across; extra time to realistically stay alive [though if you're playing on baby that time is drastically cut, but still non-zero] only adds to these minimum estimates of mine.)
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

It's okay if you or someone else uses these tricks/secrets, it just isn't my definition of what satisfies as the quickest normal route to the exit. Normal means no secret shortcuts and no use of unintended trickery.

I am aware of the trick to only need one key on E3L3 and shoot. It's borderline...not total trickery per se but the fact is that the other key takes little effort to get (unlike E4L7 where I'd bet ID was knowing exactly what they were doing given they hid the key in a fiendish secret, far from in the open, and so blatantly mapped it such that a shot on one side of the door alerts the other side.).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am