Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+7
JDMGD0
lolrust
doomjedi
Dr.Zin
WolferCooker
Dark_wizzie
WolfForever
11 posters

[V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!)

Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2013-01-07

[V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!) Empty [V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!)

Post by Sgt. Shivers Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm

The first half of the expansion has been released! Grab it here!

The mod has been patched slightly.

Thanks for your support with this project!

I hope you enjoy playing this as much I did making it!

Hi! I'm new on this site and I thought you guys would be interested in my Spear of Destiny mod for ZDOOM.
    The enemies and weapons have been replaced and at the moment there are 4 five level episodes to play through, 3 episodes making up each encounter.
    This is loosely based on "Return to Danger" but goes on a bit of a tangent after the first 2 episodes. Anyway, here are a few screenshots of the first episode.
    Spoiler:

Get it here!

Thank you for taking the time to look at my project. I intend to finish this project soon.
    Don't worry, only the first episode is very blue. Most stages after the first 5 don't use blue much at all.  Wink

EDIT: Thanks for letting me post the download link!  Very Happy

EDIT: Updated with Episode 5!

EDIT: ALL EPISODES RELEASED!

EDIT: Download Fixed

Last edited by Sgt. Shivers on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 11 times in total

snuffi likes this post

WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

[V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!) Empty Re: [V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!)

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Very interesting
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

[V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!) Empty Re: [V1.1] Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger (Expansion Released!)

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm

I just hope these designs can breath some life into RtD...that game itself has such awful level design but that doesn't mean you can't make it right. Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:06 pm

The last picture looks interesting...

BTW: I've changed the settings to allow new members to post links. After all, I don't think anybody on this forum is stupid enough to go enter their personal details from some spam bot. Wink

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 pm

You never know Wizzie.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm

WolferCooker wrote:You never know Wizzie.
    Well then the person in question is a noob and needs to learn a lesson the hard way...

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Wow, this looks very interesting....
    Indeed that game plot/theme fits Doom engine much more than Wolf3D one...
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 am

Well, what a pleasant surprise!
    Played the first blue and a bit of the first red level.

Love your interpretation, perfect balance of being loyal to the original source - and advancing it, into faster, more Doom-like gameplay with realistic designs.
    Absolutely love the textures, simply perfect. Love the realistic desings (not overly-realistic though which is ok for a Wolf3D interpretation), food plates are finally ON the tables Smile
    It's sure more Doom-type designs, not too wolfie, less sophisticalted and mazy, but such cannot be expected from a Doom mod.
    Love the first miniBoss, though cannot yet pass him with only a pistol....great enemy!
    Can't wait to play more Smile Again - those missions fit Doom engine much more than Wolf3D. ID should've just waited Smile
    Love the fast pistols, faster gameplay, which is much more fun.

Only nitpick so far - HUGE door, you feel like a midget. I can help you to make better art for the foors.

Red level - love the ideas of reusing old art into new ideas and dangers...isn't it too hard though? also I have "hall effect" on bottom part of parallaxed skies....
    Great ideas, this is inspiring.

Note I've made MAC art for most ofthe Bosses, scenery and enemies in the past - you might consider using.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am

The huge door is normal, jedi. It's the Doom Engine.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 am

Love the VERY killer dogs, nice Bosses usage...
    I served in the Navi so it touches a nerve....love the theme....much potential.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 pm

doomjedi wrote:Well, what a pleasant surprise!
    Played the first blue and a bit of the first red level.

Love your interpretation, perfect balance of being loyal to the original source - and advancing it, into faster, more Doom-like gameplay with realistic designs.
    Absolutely love the textures, simply perfect. Love the realistic desings (not overly-realistic though which is ok for a Wolf3D interpretation), food plates are finally ON the tables Smile
    It's sure more Doom-type designs, not too wolfie, less sophisticalted and mazy, but such cannot be expected from a Doom mod.
    Love the first miniBoss, though cannot yet pass him with only a pistol....great enemy!
    Can't wait to play more Smile Again - those missions fit Doom engine much more than Wolf3D. ID should've just waited Smile
    Love the fast pistols, faster gameplay, which is much more fun.

Only nitpick so far - HUGE door, you feel like a midget. I can help you to make better art for the foors.

Red level - love the ideas of reusing old art into new ideas and dangers...isn't it too hard though? also I have "hall effect" on bottom part of parallaxed skies....
    Great ideas, this is inspiring.

Note I've made MAC art for most ofthe Bosses, scenery and enemies in the past - you might consider using.

Don't worry, the doors get smaller when you get deeper into the stronghold. Wink

I didn't use mac art because the guards don't have rotations, and there are a few parts where you need to sneak up on guards.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Episode 5 is nearing completion but I need boss ideas. Episode 5 is set in castles and stuff so I was thinking some kind of medieval guy. Any ideas guys?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 am

Seems like an OK idea.
    What kind of attack can you plan for him? Bow? Smile Throwing axe?
    When you set a type of the attack - this can help to see what Wolf3D BOSS Base can fit.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 am

Interesting. You could always use one of the axes from those suits of armor.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 am

WolferCooker wrote:Interesting. You could always use one of the axes from those suits of armor.
    Now that I think about it, it's kindda nifty to be able to take out an axe from the suit and chuck it at people when you're out of ammo!

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 am

Hey you're right! NOBODY thought of that! That should be implemented if the conditions are right.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:43 am

WolferCooker wrote:Interesting. You could always use one of the axes from those suits of armor.
    Heretic and Hexen has throwing axes too, right?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 am

Never played them, so I don't know, but this idea hasn't been implemented in a Wolf3d mod before if my memory serves me right.

It can be done. In fact, I KNOW it can be done.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 am

We've finally thought of a new feature! cheers

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 am

Well it should be simple for a coder (NOT ME). Use the "pick up something from a static object" code and just make it like a separate weapon that you only use once.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 am

EPISODE 5 IS FINISHED!

I'll be updating the first post in a few seconds. I ended up making the boss a mashup between Hans and Mordekai the Summoner of Serious Sam.

I hope you guys will enjoy fighting through these stages! Very Happy
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 am

I'm stuck on one of the levels Sad
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 am

Stuck in terms that you trapped yourself in or are you lost?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 am

I'm ok Smile

Damn this is fun....keep playing it and i's just pure fun Smile
    Not the best mapping I've ever seen - but tons of fun Smile

The only downside - pain state for Bosses makes them a fresh meat Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am

LOL
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Episode 6 is almost done, and I want to do something cool for the second to last stage. Here is a bunch of level concepts that I want you guys to choose from

-Some kind of level based on Areyep's Afterlife level from spear resurrection.

-A level based on The Cave of the Past" from earthbound

-A rematch with each of the enemies in the game

Which of these do you think would fit?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:49 pm

I prefer AReyeP's hell level from End of Destiny rather than the afterlife level.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 pm

WolferCooker wrote:I prefer AReyeP's hell level from End of Destiny rather than the afterlife level.

Actually, I was planning on doing something along the lines of that for the final battle against the Incarnate.

I kinda want to make the second to last stage a bit of a "Breather" level so the player can get ready to fight the final boss.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:00 am

"Breather" level idea that has been used already is pretty much having few enemies in the level and a lot of dead corpses.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:22 pm

A guy on the zdoom forums said to do a mix of the cave of the past stage and the enemy rematches, so I did that.

All I'm waiting on now is for him to finish doing some code for the final boss. He's been helping with the mod so far so I let him make the final boss.

I'll still do the level, but he's making the boss.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Wow, that's a hard Boss I'm fighting....tons of health....finally a proper Boss challenge....fail to beat him meantime.

Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:25 am

The mod is pretty much done now, all that's left is a run through the game to look for anything that needs fixing.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:05 am

Can't wait to play more if this.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:56 pm

interesting
    Dr.Zin
    Dr.Zin
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 180
    World of Tanks Username: ToreHund
    Registration date : 2010-08-11

Post by Dr.Zin Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:03 am

I haven't seen anything good in relation to putting Wolf3D in Doom since the WolfenDooM series by Laz Rojas, so I will have to give this a try sometime tonight.

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    and the bus is interupted as a very last resort,
    and the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort
    then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

http://radix-16.com/
    Wolf3d Chat
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 am

Seems like it, Zin
    Dr.Zin
    Dr.Zin
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 180
    World of Tanks Username: ToreHund
    Registration date : 2010-08-11

Post by Dr.Zin Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

Seems like what? To what are you referring? The part about Wolf3D-in-Doom mods? I owe that largely in part to the fact that the way Doom looks and then trying to port the Wolf3D actor images into it - everything looks like it was just imported from Munchkin Land. IIRC, since Doom allowed sprites to be of an arbitrary image size, most Doom sprites are usually larger than 64x64, lending to the illusion that you're roughly a meter tall. This is enormously visible in Rojas' Totenhaus, but evens out by AstroStein. Despite the Sci-Fi roots, AstroStein is both his most visually appealing and overall best work.

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    and the bus is interupted as a very last resort,
    and the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort
    then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

http://radix-16.com/
    Wolf3d Chat
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 am

Mod updated with slight level edits and a few fixes.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 pm

The mod has been completed! It's taken a while to make but I think it came out good.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 am

Where can this latest edition be downloaded?
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:06 am

doomjedi wrote:Where can this latest edition be downloaded?

There's a link in the first post.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 am

I don't get what are episodes VS. Encounters...I still see only 2 encounters....how I select/play episodes?
    I've orifinally finished Encounter 1...encounter 2 I can't play as it's just too hard...or I don't get something there....
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 pm

doomjedi wrote:I don't get what are episodes VS. Encounters...I still see only 2 encounters....how I select/play episodes?
    I've orifinally finished Encounter 1...encounter 2 I can't play as it's just too hard...or I don't get something there....

Encounters are collections of 3 episodes. They are split into 2 encounters because the setting of the game changes in the second encounter.
    Did you try using the spear's alt-fire?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Alt fire? It has alt fire?
    I wondered what those orbs are for....I was just running for ghosts till they dissapear by themselves....sometimes they don't.

So, if I finished first encounter before - I need to replay it? You added more episodes to it? I remember beating that Boss with tons of health....
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 pm

doomjedi wrote:Alt fire? It has alt fire?
    I wondered what those orbs are for....I was just running for ghosts till they dissapear by themselves....sometimes they don't.

So, if I finished first encounter before - I need to replay it? You added more episodes to it? I remember beating that Boss with tons of health....

There are 15 levels in each encounter. The best way to deal with the ghosts is to let them resurrect a weak enemy so they die and you only have to worry about the weak enemy.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Oh, now I get it....
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

A few fixes have been added to the mod.
    Sgt. Shivers
    Sgt. Shivers
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Sgt. Shivers Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Spoiler:

Part 2 of this mod is Coming soon. Very Happy
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:32 am

Looks good Smile
    lolrust
    lolrust
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2013-06-16

Post by lolrust Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 pm

The download link isn't working for me. Crying or Very sad

This reality is mine. Go hallucinate your own.

-lolrust's words on beating the Angel of Death

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm