Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+4
Thomas
Ipank7000
Valts
Andy
8 posters

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Wolf3d - Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 5 Empty Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Well having played the originals so many times, I was thinking of the way I could play them once again to challenge myself the absolute most (yet not have it be impossible or virtually impossible), and this is the idea I came up with.

Have you beat every original Wolfenstein 3D/SoD level:

1. On I am Death Incarnate;
    2. Starting the level from scratch (pistol and 8 bullets);
    3. Without ever saving or restoring a game;
    4. Using no secrets (for extra items) besides ones that are absolutely mandatory; and
    5. In under that par time?

That is precisely the challenge I am trying in accomplish, and so far I've done it for all of Episode 4 as well as E6L1-E6L4. While Episode 6 is without a doubt the hardest episode overall, the hardest level I've come across to do this with, IMO, has been E4L8. That level is quite long for a par of just 4:30 to begin with, and it is VERY packed with resistance. In fact, I often had to use my score as a way to tell me whether or not I had left any stragglers behind that would sneak up and kill me later on. After too many tries to count, I beat it with SEVEN SECOUNDS to spare.

Part of the difficulty in that level is that you have to go a decent way it with just a pistol. While, on Episode 6, you'll see a machinegun and/or SS on each level relatively quickly, so you don't have to spend too long with just the pistol.

Now I know E4L8 contains a shortcut that lets me skip a good third to half of the level, but it is a pushwall that is not mandatory, so for me it was off-limits. Not that I'd say it would be easy even if I had used it, because there is only really one area (the red brick one) that I can skip entirely using the shortcut.

I also had to pull a strategy at the start of E4L5: knife my way through the dogs until I could reach the door, and then IMMEDIATELY close the door behind me leaving extra dogs behind. (Remember that I could not use the shotgun/ammo secret at the start, since that is not a mandatory secret.) I also had to use the non-mandatory (but non-secret) swastika-shaped room in the maze with the SS (for a machinegun), dinners, and ammo, before taking on the silver key resistance. And on E4L7 I had to go north at the start and get the chaingun BEFORE using the trick to jam the gold door with enemies. With just a pistol and fewer bullets, taking down that whole hoard and making sure I kill an enemy in the door is quite a challenge, I found. Yet in those two cases, I still managed to finish over a minute under par once I used the right strategy at the start (yes, I did E4L7 in around a minute even taking the detour to the chaingun at the start).

The other levels so far - some were easier and others tougher, but those levels in E4 represent the toughest one (E4L8) and the two most strategic starts (E4L5 and E4L7) I've come across.

Last edited by WolfForever on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Wolf3d - Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 5 Empty Re: Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

And another final video for the weekend, this one's a true speedrun!:

https://youtu.be/mtM9OPdA4eM

I hope it's fun to watch as I blaze my way through! Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Wolf3d - Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 5 Empty Re: Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:30 pm

What is the fastest E1L1 time ever acheived on hardest difficulty?

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm