Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+4
Thomas
Ipank7000
Valts
Andy
8 posters

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 4 Empty Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Well having played the originals so many times, I was thinking of the way I could play them once again to challenge myself the absolute most (yet not have it be impossible or virtually impossible), and this is the idea I came up with.

Have you beat every original Wolfenstein 3D/SoD level:

1. On I am Death Incarnate;
    2. Starting the level from scratch (pistol and 8 bullets);
    3. Without ever saving or restoring a game;
    4. Using no secrets (for extra items) besides ones that are absolutely mandatory; and
    5. In under that par time?

That is precisely the challenge I am trying in accomplish, and so far I've done it for all of Episode 4 as well as E6L1-E6L4. While Episode 6 is without a doubt the hardest episode overall, the hardest level I've come across to do this with, IMO, has been E4L8. That level is quite long for a par of just 4:30 to begin with, and it is VERY packed with resistance. In fact, I often had to use my score as a way to tell me whether or not I had left any stragglers behind that would sneak up and kill me later on. After too many tries to count, I beat it with SEVEN SECOUNDS to spare.

Part of the difficulty in that level is that you have to go a decent way it with just a pistol. While, on Episode 6, you'll see a machinegun and/or SS on each level relatively quickly, so you don't have to spend too long with just the pistol.

Now I know E4L8 contains a shortcut that lets me skip a good third to half of the level, but it is a pushwall that is not mandatory, so for me it was off-limits. Not that I'd say it would be easy even if I had used it, because there is only really one area (the red brick one) that I can skip entirely using the shortcut.

I also had to pull a strategy at the start of E4L5: knife my way through the dogs until I could reach the door, and then IMMEDIATELY close the door behind me leaving extra dogs behind. (Remember that I could not use the shotgun/ammo secret at the start, since that is not a mandatory secret.) I also had to use the non-mandatory (but non-secret) swastika-shaped room in the maze with the SS (for a machinegun), dinners, and ammo, before taking on the silver key resistance. And on E4L7 I had to go north at the start and get the chaingun BEFORE using the trick to jam the gold door with enemies. With just a pistol and fewer bullets, taking down that whole hoard and making sure I kill an enemy in the door is quite a challenge, I found. Yet in those two cases, I still managed to finish over a minute under par once I used the right strategy at the start (yes, I did E4L7 in around a minute even taking the detour to the chaingun at the start).

The other levels so far - some were easier and others tougher, but those levels in E4 represent the toughest one (E4L8) and the two most strategic starts (E4L5 and E4L7) I've come across.

Last edited by WolfForever on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 4 Empty Re: Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am

With the (limited) time I spent on Totenschlauss, I actually found it to be more difficult. I can't really get the hang of the flow of the game... I prefer Wolf3d.

But you know, difficulty levels and the easy version of the the add-on is there for a reason. SHS hard mode on Bring Em' On is still pretty cool. Wink

Last edited by Dark_wizzie on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 4 Empty Re: Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by Thomas Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am

If you don't start calling it TOTENSCHLOSS there's gonna be some bitchslapping around here.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 am

TotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlaussTotenschlauss scared confused cheers cherry

...We have a cherry emoticon on this forum? WTF?

Last edited by Dark_wizzie on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:23 am

It took me a while to get a hang of it, Wizzie. But hey WNE could be much more difficult under that engine.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 am

I thought it looked like a red bomb
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 am

Yes, if I could make WNE, I'd make Hardest difficulty level as hard as SHS hard mode on hardest difficulty. I'd make medium difficulty challenging, easy difficulty be almost default ID software difficulty, easiest be moronically easy.

Remember, the services system will allow the player to get past a boss. (If you still remember what I wrote all those months back about this, lol.)

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:25 am

I was going to burst but then I saw the widdle cherry and just couldn't raise my temper. AAAAAAWE...
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 am

Don't go popping your cherry Thomas.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 am

Sounds like a hernia or somethin'.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 am

Maybe later today I will try E6L9. I know of a way I can try that level alone, not having to play the rest of E6 to get there, and with unlimited lives. I could jump right in and keep on recording until I survive it (and without saves).

Would that satisfy your cravings? If so, please just tell me what secrets (of the four with health/ammo) I can use in this challenge, and which I cannot use.

Last edited by WolfForever on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remove request for subject separation)
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:56 am

No secrets.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm

What if I reach Fatface but don't have enough ammo to kill him?

I would think the boss room would be just like Hans or Schabbs - must have that secret to kill the boss.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 pm

If you can do the start without saves, secrets, or losing starting with a pistol and 8 rounds, you can easily knife Fatface. You can also not kill some of the later guards, sprint around the boss room in circles and use the ammo to kill Fatface instead of SS. Or just knife him.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I might try the E6L9 thing again much later, but I find it almost impossible to get every single move correct in a row, which is what I have to do if it's without saves or secrets. I have to admit, I enjoy recording demos but I'm doing it for an entertaining challenge not a frustrating one. Keeping myself alive as I blast through levels at a swift pace is is challenging but it's also fun; however, doing everything 100% perfectly to survive a nigh impossible scenario is not.

I hope you can accept this and continue to enjoy watching my videos as that's what I'm making them for. Smile
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 160
    Hobbie : Games
    Registration date : 2011-12-25

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 4 Empty Beat Wolf3D with No Kills (except bosses) on Easy!

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 am

Here is an interesting challenge. Beat Wolf3D with No Kills (except bosses) on Easy.

So far I have beaten maps 1-4 in episode 1. The video proof is available on YouTube. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/pMs8RixXhQs

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions. Is there anything stopping us from beating all Wolf3D maps with No Kills (except bosses) on Easy?
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 am

Your video shows the first difficulty, which is baby. Can you clarify whether you want baby, or easy (easy is the second difficulty)?

Preventing would be enemies in corridor type areas rather than rooms. Like the SS by the key on E4L4. The realistic goal would be "no kills for enemies that you can run from".

Also:

1. Are secrets that aren't mandatory allowed?
    2. Is from scratch start on each level required?
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 am

WolfForever wrote:Your video shows the first difficulty, which is baby. Can you clarify whether you want baby, or easy (easy is the second difficulty)?
    Baby to start with. I tried on "I am death incarnate" but it was simply impossible. I'm not sure about the other two difficulties as I've never tried them. I only played on Baby skill so far.

WolfForever wrote:Preventing would be enemies in corridor type areas rather than rooms. Like the SS by the key on E4L4. The realistic goal would be "no kills for enemies that you can run from".
    Well whoever can do a given map with the least kills out of everyone gets the prize. Smile If he can do it without killing anyone, then that is a perfect score.

WolfForever wrote:Also:

1. Are secrets that aren't mandatory allowed?
    2. Is from scratch start on each level required?
    All secrets are allowed in this challenge.
    It is not necessary to start from scratch each level in this challenge.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 am

Well I'll start with baby. Less kills = better video, no rules otherwise, is that pretty much it?

If so I'll try E1-E4 because I'm very familiar with the best route to completion on those levels (and I can use the E4L8 secret shortcut!).

Oh final question are boss levels required? Secret levels?
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:27 am

Yes you must defeat bosses. Secret levels are NOT required.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 am

Yeah I wouldn't throw yourself into the fire right away. Play it until you get the hang of it, then work your way up the difficulty level.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 am

Got it. Smile

To try and make this a bit more enticing I'm going to expand and loosen things up some. Here are four challenges you have to choose from at this point (and all suggestions are welcome for more):

1. What linuxwolf just described.

2. My challenge, except you can use one of the following modifications if you want:
    -Play on difficulty as low as Don't Hurt Me
    -All secrets can be used
    -You don't have to start every level from scratch
    Remember, one of those three, not all of them!

3.Get 100 percent kills in under par for all levels in which it can be done. Difficulty can be as low as Don't Hurt Me. No other rules.

4. Get 100 percent ratios on everything for every level that tallies ratios. E2L8 is excluded. Difficulty of Don't Hurt Me or higher. No other rules.

All of these still require playing the entire episode (or as far into the episode as is the last level in which the challenge can be accomplished).

I might try #3 for Episode 2 soon on normal difficulty. The video will end after E2L6 because it's not possible on E2L7 or E2L8 for reasons that should be obvious (this is an example of "as far into the episode as is the last level in which the challenge can be accomplished").
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 am

Thomas played this with a modification of adding a rocket launcher. That'll loosen things up a bit.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am

Additional rule: No modifications to the original EXE and other files.

Look at the post above; there are now FOUR challenges you can pick from and I tended to make them not extremely tight. Smile
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Part 2 of the No Kills challenge is available here: https://youtu.be/rG5msnmrwgU. It beats E1M5 - E1M9 without killing non-boss enemies on baby skill.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:44 pm

@linuxwolf (and others interested) Here's mine, once it's done uploading: https://youtu.be/tWR89wWgqy0

Uses a newer version (v1.4). Hope that doesn't disqualify me. Smile

EDIT: It is up. Enjoy! Smile
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Cool. I'm watching your playthrough now. Surprised I like that you included the secret level for completeness sake. It didn't look all that difficult for you. You seem to know your way around the maps better than I do.

I'm up to episode 2. Maps 1-4 of episode 2 with No Kills on Baby Skill: https://youtu.be/vO55HtNUJbo

Enjoy. Wink
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Any time I play regular Wolf3d, it'll take a while to familiarize myself with the maps.
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Any time I play regular Wolf3d, it'll take a while to familiarize myself with the maps.
    I know exactly what you mean. I've gotten lost a several times already doing this playthrough. To do this challenge well, you need to know where your keys are located, how to reach them quickly and how to locate locked doors fast.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:03 pm

@WolferCooker Same with me but I explained it somewhere else I can't recall...in short for a long time the original Wolfenstein levels were all I hard to so I played them to death. That memory doesn't just go away completely; sure after a long time of no play it may diminish but I've played for too much for it to ever be like I've never seen any original level before.

@linuxwolf Thanks for positive commentary regarding the video. Smile I really wanted to have the secret level in there. As you can see I made a mistake going to it the first time which is why I ended the game because I was in a situation where it was impossible to move anywhere without killing a guard. Re layout memorization, that's enhanced even further by the fact that I had already completed the IaDI everything under par (in which case I simply go for the fastest possible route) challenge.

My deaths/quites can be explained as this:

-On Level 1, quite because I was trapped with no way to move unless I killed the guard.
    -On Level 5, I didn't quite make it on the first try after because after I got the key, I did not optimally handle trying to keep all enemies taking paths in which I can eventually get past.
    -Level 6 death was a suicide. Just didn't want to start with low health.
    -Level 8 death, I didn't lure all other guards (besides the SS in the room with the key) far enough away from the key that I could grab it and then get out of the room before they jammed to door.

Episode 2 is going to be much more difficult, I know that much, but I did survive E2L1-E2L3 on a test play and maybe tomorrow I'll give it a go. I won't be able to kill Dr. Schabbs without killing the mutants in his room too though. Two reason: one, they aren't just enemies I can run from and leave behind, since it's the room of showdown; and two, chances are shooting at Dr. Schabbs is going to put at least a few mutants down in the process.

In general - I don't think I can do a Floor 9 with no kills but the boss unless it is otherwise empty. E4L9 will work here, I don't think any of the other ones will. (Schabbs has mutants, Hitler has Officers, and Gretel/Fatface just have hordes of enemies in their showdown rooms.)
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:51 am

You don't need to kill Schabbs mutants in E2M9 to defeat Schabbs.

All videos of Wolf3D No Kills challenge on Baby Skill (so far):

E1M1 - E1M4: https://youtu.be/pMs8RixXhQs
    E1M5 - E1M9: https://youtu.be/rG5msnmrwgU
    E2M1 - E2M4: https://youtu.be/vO55HtNUJbo
    E2M5 - E2M9: https://youtu.be/S6jKDjKqLeM
    E3M1 - E3M4: https://youtu.be/Pkqy-PgLKII
    E3M5 - E3M9: https://youtu.be/XDeEtb6SGWI
    E4M1 - E4M4: https://youtu.be/JF3BQK7xcWY
    E4M5 - E4M6: https://youtu.be/mSnYxqVjJk4

Last edited by linuxwolf on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:35 am

Is it just my imagination (running away with me)...or does the Floor 9 boss in Episode 2 (that is, Dr. Schabbs) take WAY less damage on baby compared to hard? I never thought the enemies actually take less damage; I only thought they deal less to the player. But on baby he goes down within 50 Gatling rounds. On hard I unloaded my entire 99 bullets into him and he was still alive!

Anyways will have Episode 2 video to post within an hour or so. Boy did Level 5 take me a lot of tries...
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:48 am

Episode 2 is ready!

https://youtu.be/cf0G6rGvc_c

Enjoy! Smile
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 pm

And here's Episode 3! Smile :

https://youtu.be/DrC9c9nEtNg
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 pm

I'll be impressed if you can do episode 4. It is extremely hard. E4M5 and E4M6 are particularly difficult. There is very little space to move around and lots of tight mazes to navigate through. Some mazes have guards waiting at the exit so you'll need to back peddle and hope no one is waiting for you on the other side. Fun times!

At the start of E4M6 you'll discover what it feels like to be attacked by a pack of dogs and have no opportunity to hit back. Enjoy. Smile
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:09 pm

I cannot do the start of E4L5 w/o killing any dogs.

Please either resign me for Episode 4 or give me a permissible exception to kill the dogs, and it's fine if it depends on if you succeed yourself.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:36 pm

What do you think is the hardest Wolf3d/Sod level, starting with pistol/8 rounds is, ALLOWING for secrets? I remember level 16 Sod was decently challenging under those paremeters.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 pm

WolfForever wrote:I cannot do the start of E4L5 w/o killing any dogs.

Please either resign me for Episode 4 or give me a permissible exception to kill the dogs, and it's fine if it depends on if you succeed yourself.
    I have succeeded at E4L5 so I'm afraid you don't have permission to kill the dogs. You would be breaking the golden rule of this challenge which is not to kill a non-boss enemy unless absolutely necessary. It is not necessary to kill the dogs.

E4L5 is a beast map for this challenge. After completing it, I didn't have the strength to face E4L6. Since I'm posting continuous playthroughs of at least 4 levels, I need to beat E4L5 all over again. Sad
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Did you happen to get your playthrough of the level in which you won on video? Wink Might have a big problem doing that on an episode playthrough.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:07 pm

@linuxwolf Do I have permission to do any of the following (answer by number is appreciated):

1. Record everything before Level 5 is a separate video and make two videos for the episode (similar to how you do)?
    2. If I fail on an attempt, instead of getting bitten to death, kill the dogs and then pick up the secret extra life not far away, then get myself killed (i.e. commit suicide for failing) so I don't cost myself one of my limited lives? (Since picking up an extra life then getting killed results in no net gain or loss of lives, thus at least I have unlimited tries to beat this particular challenge)
    3. Break my recording and start a new video at the end of any level I want to (not just E4L4 as I asked in #1)?
    4. If I give up, admit failure, skip the level, and move on to either the next level or episode (that is, E4L6 or Episode 5)?
    5. If this challenge gets so hard that I stop having fun altogether, am I allowed to admit defeat and move on to recording other types of videos for my channel?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Maaan, WolfForever, I thought you were hardcore man. >Sad Hehe, it's your choice man, your video. Playing fast is probably more fun.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:54 pm

WolfForever wrote:@linuxwolf Do I have permission to do any of the following (answer by number is appreciated):

1. Record everything before Level 5 is a separate video and make two videos for the episode (similar to how you do)?
    Yes.

WolfForever wrote:
    2. If I fail on an attempt, instead of getting bitten to death, kill the dogs and then pick up the secret extra life not far away, then get myself killed (i.e. commit suicide for failing) so I don't cost myself one of my limited lives? (Since picking up an extra life then getting killed results in no net gain or loss of lives, thus at least I have unlimited tries to beat this particular challenge)
    As long as dog death is not captured in video I'm fine.

WolfForever wrote:
    3. Break my recording and start a new video at the end of any level I want to (not just E4L4 as I asked in #1)?
    Yes.

WolfForever wrote:
    4. If I give up, admit failure, skip the level, and move on to either the next level or episode (that is, E4L6 or Episode 5)?
    Yes you are free to advance to another level or episode in a separate video.

WolfForever wrote:
    5. If this challenge gets so hard that I stop having fun altogether, am I allowed to admit defeat and move on to recording other types of videos for my channel?
    Yes you are permitted to do so.

All my videos of Wolf3D No Kills challenge on Baby Skill (so far):

E1M1 - E1M4: https://youtu.be/pMs8RixXhQs
    E1M5 - E1M9: https://youtu.be/rG5msnmrwgU
    E2M1 - E2M4: https://youtu.be/vO55HtNUJbo
    E2M5 - E2M9: https://youtu.be/S6jKDjKqLeM
    E3M1 - E3M4: https://youtu.be/Pkqy-PgLKII
    E3M5 - E3M9: https://youtu.be/XDeEtb6SGWI
    E4M1 - E4M4: https://youtu.be/JF3BQK7xcWY
    E4M5 - E4M6: https://youtu.be/mSnYxqVjJk4
    E4M7: https://youtu.be/42TXGgDS-eE
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Because the route differs significantly and is not trivially short/easy (even though it's not very hard either), I decided to supplement my Episode 3 videos with a video that completes both challenges I've tackles so far on Floor 7 except using the normal exit. You can find it here:

https://youtu.be/ZsSzqdQ61Ss
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks WolfForever. I'll watch it when I get home.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Always welcome. Smile What do you think of my E1-E3 videos overall? If you prefer not to share publicly please send me a message.

Next video will be E4L1-E4L4 and cut it there because the later levels are just likely to be too frustrating to be fun if I try to slap the whole episode into one video (plus the video since would likely be gigantic).

EDIT: I might go for one more no kills video, an ultimate challenge, on E3L7 - exit using the secret exit BUT find the normal exit first. Not going to do the hard/scratch start/under par challenge with that though because I don't think it's possible to beat the 2:00 par time realistically. But I could see it making quite a big no kills challenge.

I might also attempt E2L7 no kills without exiting immediately; instead setting the goal that I must pick up the three one-ups, the ultimately reward in the secret(main?) area of the level. Again no other challenge on this because there's no way I can handle that whole optional par under the par.

That would cover the main cases in which I feel I "wimped out" in one way or another, or didn't do all I could have.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Got to go to bed now, but I actually just did the E2L7 objective I proposed: https://youtu.be/wTAg3b0GdcY

Again I hope you enjoy and @linuxwolf would really appreciate feedback on what you think of my no kills videos. Smile
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 am

It was nice to see the rest of E2M7. Good work.

I'm proud to announce E4M8 can be beaten in the No Kills challenge on Baby skill. I hope everyone gets a chance to watch it. I threw a lot of tricks into that run. Here is the link: E4M8 No Kills on Baby.

Video List:
    Spoiler:
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Wolfercooker, wanna try playing E6L9 without secrets, starting with default ammo? Just to try it out because WolfForever won't.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:23 am

I guarantee my tour through Episode 6, when I get around to it, will be no lean feat. Smile Ten long, hard levels (and even more so with the no secret unless it is absolutely mandatory, leads to the secret level, or downright insane to try and survive without rule).
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:37 am

E5M4 of No Kills challenge is done. Razz
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 pm

New video! Episode 5 of under par on hard difficulty challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F786MpVgLc

Enjoy! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am