Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

Favorite Doom extras

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Favorite Doom extras Empty Favorite Doom extras

Post by WolfForever Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Well it's obviously not Wolfenstein-related so it goes in this section.

However, when I was reading the DHW forums, a thread about favorite FPS games caught my attention, and a commonly listed one was Doom. No surprise, I know how enormously popular that game is. I play it like crazy too!

For those members on here that do a lot of Dooming, I am wondering - what are your favorite extras (which are wads) for that game? I'd like to keep it to single player wads that have maps in them (they can certainly be ones requiring source ports though). Also I'm most interested in stuff from the past 10 years or so, not the old '90s classics.

I'd like to see what gets mentioned - feel free to list as may as you'd like, whatever comes to your mind as one your really enjoyed! Smile And of course no offense here for non-Doom fans who see this thread.

BTW I'd have posted this right in Howling Wolfers on DHW, but my account there doesn't seem to be working (I can't log in, nor can I register a new account). Oh well.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Favorite Doom extras Empty Re: Favorite Doom extras

Post by doomjedi Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 am

Well, though I'm an old Doomer, and started my way on Doom forums - I wasn't following the Doom scene in recent years, so donnow to which extent I can he helpful.

Sure our of my memory I have fond memories of "Knee Deep in ZDoom", "Action Doom", "Brutal Doom", "The Darkest Hour", "ZBlud", "Batman", "Simpsons", "GhostBusters", "Equinox"....but I'm at work, I might look at my old zDoom directories to remember more names.

"StarWars Doom" is probably too old to mention...
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 am

If the original Doom games ever get a treatment a la SDL, I'll definitely go for it.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:24 am

Thomas wrote:If the original Doom games ever get a treatment a la SDL, I'll definitely go for it.
    What do you mean by "SDL treatment"?
    What do you need that zDoom/ACS/Decorate doesn't give you? Any resolution, no memory restrictions....

Anyway, there are SDL-treatment ports Smile
    http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/SDL_Doom
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:49 pm

doomjedi wrote:Well, though I'm an old Doomer, and started my way on Doom forums - I wasn't following the Doom scene in recent years, so donnow to which extent I can he helpful.

Sure our of my memory I have fond memories of "Knee Deep in ZDoom", "Action Doom", "Brutal Doom", "The Darkest Hour", "ZBlud", "Batman", "Simpsons", "GhostBusters", "Equinox"....but I'm at work, I might look at my old zDoom directories to remember more names.

"StarWars Doom" is probably too old to mention...

Out of those, I also think KDiZD, Darkest Hour, Batman, and Equinox are done very well. Seems like you are a biggest fan of total/partial conversions over plain add-ons, which is no problem.

I must comment that I seriously think a LOT of people on Doomworld seriously underrate KDiZD because they complain about switch hunting or how hyped it was, but regardless I played KDiZD one time and had a lot of fun in doing so even if there was an occasional point I was frustrating (once or twice not knowing what to do next) and it doesn't really have the original E1 vibe, but I just interpret that to be a modern remake, not necessarily aiming for identical feel. BTW KDiZD had a bonus levels you might not have played - open the console and type "map z1m0" to find out.

In keeping with the idea of total/partial conversions, I must also recommend the following from the past (approximately) five years to you:
    -The Ultimate Torment 'n Torture (wow, today is EXACTLY its fifth anniversary!)
    -Action Doom 2 (liked it much over the first, VERY different, COMPLETE total conversion) (2008)
    -Cold as Hell (2008)
    -BGPA Missions: Liberation (2008)
    -Harmony (2009)
    -Arcadia (A BioShock level converted to Doom!) (2010)
    -Unloved (2010)

All of these recommendations were wads I have played, but they have been recited into my minds thanks to yearly awards given to the best wads. There are 10+ each year and to find them, go to the URL http://www.doomworld.com/xxyears where xx is an integer between 10 and 18 (with the range expanding up by one on each passing December 10). While I don't think every wad listed on these pages is fantastic, and also I think they miss some really excellent ones residing in the archive, overall this is a VERY good starting point if you want to expand your library of good Doom wads. Smile

EDIT: Warning, clicking on the URL link will take you to a nonexistent page, you have to replace xx with an integer as described above.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:27 pm

I can't remember, (maybe it was an earlier version of Kdizd??), but I liked it even more, it was first episode remake, very impressive, can't rebember it's name...it had many new monsters from the doom monsters repository (like the new demons etc....) and high level of details, like broken floor bricks etc.... Levels were in the same overall design - just much better and much more different... And VERY detailed....oh my God how detailed.
    Can't find that WAD....
    Can anyone help?

I think you needed to explode some explosives to make holes in walls to advance....can try to remember other details....

Also I remember a great mod that starts with you parashuting downwards, with an intro movie....it had cameras like Kdizd......very simular. Or was it another version of it?

Seems like you are a biggest fan of total/partial conversions over plain add-ons, which is no problem.
    No, not at all...I played many many many Doom mods, it's just that Doom mods are harder to remember, as they are too simular at times, and doesn't give you that long-term impression/memory.
    Not to mention all the Oblige-generated maps I've played....alot as well Smile
    Loved NewDoom Community Mapset BTW, great maps.
    Valts
    Valts
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 384
    Job : Student (Estonian University of Life Sciences)
    Hobbie : reading, history, poker, billiard and snooker, gaming
    Registration date : 2007-05-16

Post by Valts Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:45 am

My favorite Doom extras is Eternal Doom, BatmanDOOM and all Eternals and Jim Flynn's maps. I found all Doom engine games is great.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 am

@Valts:

Eternal Doom is a classic. Only problem is it can get too complex. Try to figure out Map30 without any help (no demo watching, etc.)!! Let me warn: much easier said than done. Even when I succeed I fail to remember just what I had to do sometimes.

Batman Doom is an old classic, probably a timeless one even though visually it isn't up to today's expected standards. I am starting to wonder if it is part of what inspired doomjedi to use Batman in Wolfenstein. As far as I know, Batman is the only special theme (special theme = a theme completely different from the base game(s)) that now has both a fully developed (doesn't seem like it was just a rush to get something out, etc.) Wolfenstein AND Doom TC dedicated to it.

Have you played any recent megawads? I'm mostly talking Jenesis, Khorus' Speedy ****, Base Ganymede, Doom the way ID Did, Interception (even though it is still in beta, but mostly just waiting for a full soundtrack), and Community Chest 4. If you have opinions on any of those it would be most welcomed. Smile

I also enjoy Heretic, but not really Hexen or Strife. Curse of D'sparil is really good for Heretic and Call of the Apostate well worth a mention, along with that author's single level (can't remember name). I don't get why many people like the recent Masters of Chaos though, it seems average AT BEST to me.

Last edited by WolfForever on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 am

WolfForever wrote: I am starting to wonder if it is part of what inspired doomjedi to use Batman in Wolfenstein.
    No. And again - No.
    I didn't even remember that old Doom mod, just because of your thread I went back and remembered it.

Have you played any recent megawads?

Nope.

I also enjoy Heretic, but not really Hexen or Strife.
    I love Hexen.
    Strife - much less.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 am

I was actually asking these questions primarily to Valts but thanks for responding anyways. Smile
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:40 am

WolfForever wrote: Favorite Doom extras..
    I liked the episodes..

The Plutonia Experiment
      TNT: Evilution
      Plutonia 2
      HACX
      Requiem

Liked the levels based on the movie..

Star Wars Doom
      Alien Doom

BUT..
    ..most of all the impressions given mods

Astrostein 1&2&3
      Operation: Eisenmann
      Operation: Arctic Wolf
      Operation: Rheingold's

Favorite TC - Operation: Rheingold's.. although the game has one flaw.
    Sprites German soldiers taken from Wolf-3d..
    Therefore, against the background of large and high levels they seem tiny.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:56 am

I agree, Operation Rheingold is really good. Laz Rojas 'translated' some of his WolfenDOOM mods to regular Wolf (such as Escape from Totenhaus and Halten Sie!) but sadly this never made the cut.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:39 am

Thomas wrote:I agree, Operation Rheingold is really good..
    I especially liked the sequence of levels ..
      1st level - of the windows of the building, we see the street ..
      2nd level - we go out on the streets that saw on the first level ..
      3rd level - player gets in buildings located on the streets second level..
      etc.
    The game took shape in one small world ..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:09 pm