Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
arsenal45
Thomas
6 posters

wolfenstein in Axis Britain

arsenal45
    arsenal45
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-07-03

Wolfenstein - wolfenstein in Axis Britain Empty wolfenstein in Axis Britain

Post by arsenal45 Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Suggestion for wolf-mood jocolor

I now that most enjoy basing the Nazis and all that but what about similar groups like the British Union of Fascists?
    The Story can be that the allies was completely routed at Dunkirk and Britain was invaded in 1940 surrender to the Axis.
    http://images.wikia.com/althistory/images/8/87/Oswald-mosley1.png
    It is now late 1943 USA and the remaining allies need to remove the current fascist government in Britain.
    Although Britain is neutral for the moment it leans towards Germany and Soviet-Russia is under heavy pressure from the Axis power.
    Leningrad has fallen, Stalingrad was lost but retaken and Moscow is still standing but much of the City is in ruin.

Time is not on the allies the BU most be topped before the invasion of Britain and eventually continental Europe itself.The allies send William B.J. Blazkowicz and a Brit from the auxiliary Units. We can be either one of the agent.

The enemy will be British soldier that are controlled by BU, Black-shirts with different weapons, but in the last level you will encounter German SS-units and even some hiding zombies. scared

The last enemy could be DR. Franz Six or Mosley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Six

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Union_of_Fascists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_Here
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Wolfenstein - wolfenstein in Axis Britain Empty Re: wolfenstein in Axis Britain

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Can we play as Winston Churchill? Because that would be soooo badass! Very Happy

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

This could make an interesting mod. I'm a big alternate history fan myself. But playing as Winston Churchill? That's a bit daft. He may have been a man of the world and all that stuff, but he's nowhere near as badass as BJ or any other protagonist most likely to run fast, gun about a lot and without mercy.
    arsenal45
    arsenal45
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by arsenal45 Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:35 pm

No we can only play as BJ or be an free British commando. Cool

in this game we use weapons as steen,Lanchester,Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 and Webley Revolver but we will encounter some very known weapons when the SS lunches there assault at you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_weapons_of_the_United_Kingdom#Rifles

WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

you might as well add in the German weapons too since this is still the Nazis you're battling most of the time. Luger, MP40, Kar98k, STG44, Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck, etc.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2010-09-29

Post by Per-Scan Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:42 am

I think this is a good idea too. Maybe you could base it on the book Fatherland (I think there was a movie too).

Nazi's won the war and now control Britain. Pretty good read. Smile
    arsenal45
    arsenal45
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by arsenal45 Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Yes fatherland take place 20 years after 1944. Do you guys want the time-line to be after ww2?
    German weapons will also be used. Fallschirmjäger with FG42 assault rifles can also be used maybe even a few Italian Bersaglieri to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersaglieri#World_War_II
    Fatherland - Part 1
    Fatherland
    Hitler's Britain [an alternate history] 1/10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5GGKQUd6E&feature=related

http://www.alternatewars.com/WW2/WW2_Documents/Fuhrer_Directives/FD_17.htm
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Here's the thing though. Are you able to do all this by yourself, Arsenal?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:40 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Here's the thing though. Are you able to do all this by yourself, Arsenal?

pale I hope so! pale

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey if I had the continuous motivation to make a mod, I would be making one. But I don't want to and I am lazy. lol

Motivation is key, Arsenal!
    arsenal45
    arsenal45
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by arsenal45 Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:51 am

WolferCooker wrote:Hey if I had the continuous motivation to make a mod, I would be making one. But I don't want to and I am lazy. lol

Motivation is key, Arsenal!

Motivation is key yes I know that that's why I keep going on modding hoi2 games at paradox. I have no qualification for this game, but I enjoy dreaming Like a Star @ heaven

But if some modders one day have time in the future and would build one some of this ideas maybe..
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2010-09-29

Post by Per-Scan Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah, I wish I had some mapping/artistic skill. I have lots of ideas and concepts that I'd love to see realised in a Wolf mod but I just don't have the chops to create the maps, sprites, sounds... Sad

Speaking of such; Do you ever plan on makig WNE Wizzie??
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Per-Scan wrote:Yeah, I wish I had some mapping/artistic skill. I have lots of ideas and concepts that I'd love to see realised in a Wolf mod but I just don't have the chops to create the maps, sprites, sounds... Sad

Speaking of such; Do you ever plan on makig WNE Wizzie??
    Prolly not. I'm kind of studying for my life at college right now. scratch study

I did release the final version of the story/boss fight scenarios/weapons, but that's about it. I can't even game on my new (unarrived) IPS monitor. Mad

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Per Scan, WNE was nothing but a really big cake.

And Arsenal, it appears no one has the time or the right frame of mind to make mods complete with ideas from others.

I've said this a couple times already and we are in denial about it, but i think it's really starting to bear fruit; we are reaching the end of Wolf3d mod making.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:24 pm

O. Cake

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 pm

WolferCooker wrote:
    I've said this a couple times already and we are in denial about it, but i think it's really starting to bear fruit; we are reaching the end of Wolf3d mod making.
    Well, "Team RayCast" is a prove that we're not, with at least 4-5 projects in development, the action in our team never stops. Maybe it should expand to include more members, don't know...to work on many parallel projects. We just try to keep "quality control" on members, but as long as those are capable modders - team has no member limit set in stone.

SDL gave Wolf3D modding a good boost and a bright future.
    There are indeed a few problems related to Wolf3D modding I can list (if asked to), but I think that the main problem (if I'd have to choose only one) is that most modders find classic mods too repeatable already, after playing 1000 of such. Another barrel, another column...
    Our expectations and "excitement limit" are much higher nowdays, especially with SDL that has no limits. This makes projects bigger, longer....and it's hard to make such projects alone. You need a "Team". And beside "Team RayCast" I don't see much such teams emerging. Is it egos or lack of organization skills?
    Once a person could do a mod by himself. Most Wolf3D modders new mapping, art could be taken from other games or left original, no much coding required (and you didn't have much memory for too much coding features or art anyway), beside maybe some simple tutorials that existed. So one member was a team of it's own.
    Today - if one tries to do all by himself - he'll either give up or make a too-classic-looking mod.... You can't do such thing on your own.
    To keep modding - one (and asa community) should keep reinventing itself, with new ideas TC, directions, mod styles, plots....fresh things.
    Even if you have both art, coding and mapping skills - 1. Those can't be just the same quality in all 3 areas, IMHO one whould focus on 1 area he is best at. 2. Even if you do - you just can't carry all the areas on your shoulders alone to make a large scale project of reasonable quality in reasonable time.

We got to put egos aside and create teams and development forums, as such can't be public.
    That's what "Team RayCast" members understood - in order to do big-scale, detailed, quality projects - one needs a team.

I can list here the reasons why I think "Team RayCast" works so well...in random order.

1. Team of experienced and/or capable wolfers with simular modding taste, free time and devotion.
    2. Each member is assigned only 1 area, the area he is best at (modding/coding/art of sounds) and focuses only on that area. It's not a rule, it's just how it works out by itself.
    3. Extensive use of Dropbox.
    4. Private development forum, with sub-forums for each project and sub-threads for every project theme (art, coding, plot, sounds, enemies, bosses etc).
    5. All team members are moderators so they can edit each other's posts, creating an updated common post of overall progress and status - for maps, coding etc.
    6. Threads allow first "summary/updated" post to be displayed on (and edited from) every page of the thread, making it faster to edit and keep updated
    7. Democratic votes on every dispute, so every voice counts and is heard.
    8. Flexibility of team members not to put "veto" on things and respect others.
    9. Team members are allowed to choose projects they participate in or not, and are free to have their own personal projects/taking part in non-team projects.
    10. Double-posting is not only allowed, by encouraged.
    11. One member is in charge of overall ogranizing and managing the projects, to "glue" things together.

IMO this is the way to make great mods.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 am

Well if that's the case Doomjedi then it's time to see what everyone else is made of and then join Team Raycast.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:02 am

Smile Funny Smile

Well, I think people have to start making more teams Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 am

Team Raycast = Monopoly on Wolf3d Mods Very Happy

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 am

I don't think monopoly is good for anything.
    We have mappers of very same mapping style and such and it works well...within a team....- but I think we need different teams of different styles...different modding visions and ideas.
    Even the best chocolade, if you have only one type of it - get's boring. Too monolythic.

I was just sharing general advices on making an effective team - based on many years of experience, mistakes, and learning from those mistakes...seeing what works and what doesn't.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 pm

doomjedi wrote: but I think we need different teams of different styles...different modding visions and ideas.
    Even the best chocolade, if you have only one type of it - get's boring. Too monolythic.
    I've already stated everything and anything not done before that I think should be in a mod in WNE documents. Wink Not saying you would want to, but there is a giant bin of ideas in there.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Problem is Wizzie... they are most likely impossible to code on a Wolf3d source code and engine. In today's games it can be done with how far technology has gone, but with an old 90s DOS game, it might take up too much room.

If they could be done in Wolf3d, we'd be talking about a mod that is a couple of gig in size.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:04 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Problem is Wizzie... they are most likely impossible to code on a Wolf3d source code and engine. In today's games it can be done with how far technology has gone, but with an old 90s DOS game, it might take up too much room.

If they could be done in Wolf3d, we'd be talking about a mod that is a couple of gig in size.
    Don't have to implement ALL of the things in there... just cherry pick a few things you like. My suggestions for weapons can be dumbed down a lil', else they'd have to be done on Wolfenstein 2009. alien

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Metalor is good with projectile manipulations Wizzie. See Guns and Glory
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:47 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Metalor is good with projectile manipulations Wizzie. See Guns and Glory

Ok. But I'd like to stress that WNE ideas were not only about AoE weapons. There're quite a few of them in many different categories. I, of course, do not know if making a boss fight different than a strafe-n'-shoot affair is possible with coding... But if it is, there are like a gazillion examples of how a boss fight can be different, by altering the level or the boss or how you fight... Temporary abilities that work in some areas but not others, scarce ammo/health that regenerate in 'safe houses' after a set period of time, etc. Many, many possibilities. Although I have a set of ideas for AoE specifically, there is a larger section on non-AoE weapons. And other things, like the actual idea of making bosses/boss level hard. Very hard. (And not just by adding more enemies/taking away health). If you can't beat the current level on set difficulty you can temporarily make it easier, at the cost of big score hit and no awards at end. (Awards are shown based on your playing style... for being awesome, dumb, finishing the game quickly, etc etc.) Maybe an unlocked hard mode... And definitely, LARGER MAPS. You can do so many things with larger maps. A time limited map that works against you since the map is large and you have to dispatch bosses quickly, etc etc. Also, a quicksave; the challenger mode on EoD is lacking since if I have to go to sleep, and I save, I lose a save count. Not dissing Eod, of course; it brought some great ideas with the flame shooting walls and so forth. Good idea, but I think it can be taken to a next level. (If you're sitting there with the old version of the text, you're not getting everything.)

I'm going to stop now, but I personally think the proposed ideas on WNE has more to offer than just being a pile of text sitting in a corner that nobody will ever read. I mean, there are 26 pages in the Boss Scenario 2010 Word document alone. There has to be SOMETHING that can be used.If I had more time and willpower, I could make that 26-paged article 50 pages. While not ALL ideas can be implemented, some can, I bet. I've said it once, I'll say it again: Strafe and shoot is boring.

My two cents. (Actually based on the length of this post, it's more like my dollar.)

EDIT:
    Please, no more tanks in mods that can be taken down by bullets alone. That's lame-o.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Perhaps Doomjedi should take some of those ideas into consideration with Team Raycast working on 5 different mods.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Perhaps Doomjedi should take some of those ideas into consideration with Team Raycast working on 5 different mods.
    Well, who said we didn't think of some of those already? Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:10 am

Well there was no feedback from Wizzie's WNE ideas so I assumed nobody read it.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:37 pm

People read my stuff? What? Firing Another Gun

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:18 pm