Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+5
WolfForever
Akuul
doomjedi
Thomas
Schabbs
9 posters

Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released

Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Glory - Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released Empty Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released

Post by Schabbs Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:49 am

Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released

Glory - Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released Gg225
    More Pics

Metalor has released 'Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL'. There's one continuous episode of roughly 30 levels. Virtually everything has been changed and there are many code changes, though the Wolf3D feel is retained well. See the very detailed Read This for more info. There are a few remaining bugs and in the coming weeks, Metalor will post an updated EXE that will replace the MIDIs with MP3s for those who find the MIDI-crashing bug to be too irritating. Available from Mediafire. Vista/Windows 7-compatible.
    A contest for the game starts today. Look in the Read This to find out more. There's also a thread for it at DHW.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Glory - Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released Empty Re: Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released

Post by doomjedi Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 am

Oh, man...I'm sooo downloading this one Smile

Glory - Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released Empty Re: Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Nathan!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 am

BJ is tuff enuff... Sure that's what they aimed for with this kick-*** mod.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Looked at the first level and half of the second level ..

- does not turn strafe for the mouse
      - sometimes disappearing gun sight (crosshair).. It was at the first level

Generally "Guns and Glory 0.5" liked and the music very good
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 pm

- sometimes disappearing gun sight (crosshair).. It was at the first level

Never noticed that while I was beta-testing the mod. Good find.

- does not turn strafe for the mouse

Never noticed that either. I don't use the mouse for turn-strafing in Wolf3d mods.

Good finds Akuul
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Akuul Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:23 pm

WolferCooker wrote:I don't use the mouse for turn-strafing in Wolf3d mods.
    I have the opposite.. Smile
    In Wolf-3d mods I used to the layout:

Ctrl: shot
      Space: action
      The right button mouse for strafe..

My favorite layout for the rest of the FPS:

Z: turn-strafing to the left
      X: shot
      C: turn-strafing to the right
      Shift: speed
      Space: action
      Left button mouse: move forward
      Right button mouse: move backward
      D: jump
      S: squat

This may be added to adjacent keys. For example "F - reload weapon"
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Interesting to say the least.
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2012-04-05

Post by Metalor Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Perhaps, I could be of assistance?

Akuul wrote:- does not turn strafe for the mouse
    Hmmm, odd I just checked this myself and it worked fine for me. But that might be because I was using the default settings. I only set up the controls to work with what I knew would have been used. This may be why you're having troubled with turn-strafing (Personally, I never use strafing at all, but that's just me).
    Akuul wrote:- sometimes disappearing gun sight (crosshair).. It was at the first level
    The gun sight only functions for weapons 2, 3, and 5. Didn't make sense to have it for the knife (which you have to get stupidly close to enemies to use anyways), the Flame Thrower which has so much ammo, a rapid firing rate and short range that it didn't seem necessary, and the Stielhandts didn't need to have it, seeing as how their strongest hit will most likely hit all nearby enemies regardless.
    Akuul wrote:Generally "Guns and Glory 0.5" liked and the music very good
    Thanks. I was striving to make something new and unique, and I think I succeeded.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi Dale!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Chokster37 wrote:I came up with two more theories:

- Everyone on BJs planet was born with 5 heads, but 4 of BJs heads fell off in battle... same with losing 8 of his arms, 24 feet in height, and 650 lbs - thus the 20% health accurately measures his "strength" as compared to his original form/species

- BJ actually has only 1 life... but has a "special power" to teleport back to the start of the level after each 20% interval (thus he actually has 80% health... 20% was compensated for his special ability, and the rest is spread out amongst his 4 lives, so his real health is accurately measured with the formula "lives+1 x health")

Here's one easy way to fix the 20% health bug/inaccuracy on the status bar though:

- Put the % sign beside the bar, and the health number (0-20) beside the name "health"

By the way, I think you can delete AUDIOHED and AUDIOT since they don't seem to be used anymore.

Interesting theories. Let me go ahead and put those thoughts to rest:

The percent is there because it was the only symbol I could think of that would both fit into the tiny space above the health and armor bars and look good. Plus the % is there in the original, so there's that. I did want to replace the percentage with a plus sign or cross and replace the one above armor with a shield, but I didn't like how they turned out when I drew them (I only had 5x5 pixels to work with), so I kept the percentage symbol instead.

But the 20 health corresponds with the regular guard's health. Most, if not all regular enemies have about 20 health (on medium), and all bosses have about 10x that amount. I balanced it this way so that every shot would count and it would feel like you were taking on foes that were just as tough (though in most cases, not as smart) as you were.

And yes, the AUDIOHED and AUDIOT can be deleted. I accidentally compressed those into the bundle when I sent it.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Jokester37 Smile Smile Smile
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Akuul Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:41 am

Metalor wrote:
    Akuul wrote:- does not turn strafe for the mouse
    Hmmm, odd I just checked this myself and it worked fine for me. But that might be because I was using the default settings ...
    Any new Wolf-3d-Mods I also run with the default settings ..
    I'll try again today ..

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Manuel!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Sorry, the shading can't be disabled, I never added a feature to disable it.
    The arrow keys can't be changed either.

Sorry about both of those, but my expertise in coding comes from enemies and projectiles.

But I suppose this may be worth taking into consideration, I've already at least 2 other known bugs I can recall that I need to amend.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Rodney!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:58 am; edited 3 times in total
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, I guess I'll see about making these changes in a new EXE build. As for editing the maps... I wouldn't recommend that at all. It's not that you personally can't, nothing's stopping you, but I won't accept any entries from a modified version of my mod (that I haven't modified myself). So I'll get to looking for some help regarding those bugs, and I'll probably post an updated EXE soon.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi Curtis!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Hmmm, that works I guess. But I still do not recommend modifying the gamelevels. Part of entering in the contest is providing that you met the requirements without tampering with the base game.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Akuul Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Metalor

I wrote that
    Akuul wrote:- sometimes disappearing gun sight (crosshair)..
    Everything was just .. In "G&G 0.5" the extended keyboard settings. And I used..
    Akuul wrote:(in the message Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:23 am) - My favorite layout for the rest of the FPS:.. X: shot..
    But in "G&G 0.5" gun sight (crosshair) activated and deactivated by pressing X
    Here is an unexpected coincidence... Very Happy
    Sorry
    ONLY
    Words "not turn strafe for the mouse" I can only repeat..
    Look at the strafe when pressing a button (by default) A and D.
    And compare with strafing when using the mouse.
    When we press the button (A .. D) , we are moving in a straight line (left or right)
    When we use a mouse we are moving this way ..
     Glory - Guns and Glory 0.5 The Story Retold SDL is Released 628494486c3f
    some turn around .. and it is not strafe ..

Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Hmmm, well I'm going to see about allowing customization for the Crosshair, arrow keys, and the Medkit to fix these problems. As for the Mouse and mouse strafing, I was unaware that this method existed. I need to have a look at the tutorial I used or my code setup to check this thoroughly.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Akuul Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Metalor wrote:Hmmm, well I'm going to see about allowing customization for the Crosshair, arrow keys, and the Medkit to fix these problems.
    I think that the key X for Crosshair is not a problem.. It may be best left as is?
    And here is a "classic strafe for the mouse" is another matter Smile
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Well, one thing I want is to allow my players a relaxed amount of customization. The ability to play as they want is something I want to give them (if it is within my ability to give them such abilities).

Unfortunately I don't use the mouse or strafing, so that is indeed another matter (and unfortunately something I'm a little less inclined to want to fix, but I'll see what I can do, or more accurately, what the fellows at DHW can do).
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 pm

After overlooking the tutorial that I used to enable WASD support, it seems that the code disables the y axis for the mouse while turning, so that may be why you can't turn-strafe. I'll see about fixing it.

-EDIT-

Scratch that, the code is modified to use 3 axis instead of the original 2 so I won't be changing anything there.
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm nearly done with the bug fixes and concerns that have been reported for the next EXE release.

The real news however is that I'm considering adding another difficulty to the game:

"Loser Mode"

In Loser Mode:
    - The enemies have severely increased health (i.e. Easy = 100, Normal = 200, Hard = 300, Loser Mode = 600).
    - The player's ammo capacity is twice what it is in the other difficulties (to a maximum of 99).
    - Pickups and weapons provide twice as much ammo as normally.
    - The Pistol and Machinegun weapons are set to Hitscan weapons like the Sniper Rifle.
    - The player can hold twice as many Medkits.

The new difficulty will thus me more in-tune with the original Wolfenstein, while still keeping in tune with making the game challenging.

Of course this decision is not final, but this could still be a way for players who can't cut it with the projectile weapons to compete in the contest. Vent your objections and comments here to let me know what you think.
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:36 pm

G&G 0.5 is now the first major release of 2012 I have FINISHED my play of!

Really good and unique, I have to say. Excellent soundtrack and all. Good levels (which are the backbone for ANY mod) and projectile shooting is a huge change of pace that I really enjoyed overall. Very nice secret levels. Smile Obvious that a TON of work went into it, and I'd have to say it paid off.

I don't think any vanilla-type set will top this (simply because the extra features leave so much of an impression) so I'd say Eisenfaust Origins is the only thing from 2012 that still might.

And I just barely squeaked 2 million points. Not really interested in any contests, though editor files would be interesting to look at.

My overall score 9/10 maybe even 9.5 let's say 9.25/10. Note that I rate vanilla type sets different from big conversions, so you might see me give the same rating to a vanilla type or lightly coded set but it doesn't have the same meaning.

EDIT: Modified first sentence to say "major" because I keep forgetting I've played 15 Master Levels. Still, this set obviously took FAR more effort than that one which is basically maps and very simple code changes.

Last edited by WolfForever on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Glad you liked it. Indeed alot of work was put into it, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

The contest sort of flopped so there's no real point of reporting that information any more. However, if you want to make/contribute a level to the community mapset release, just email me and I can send you the files for ChaosEdit.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Metalor wrote:Glad you liked it. Indeed alot of work was put into it, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

The contest sort of flopped so there's no real point of reporting that information any more. However, if you want to make/contribute a level to the community mapset release, just email me and I can send you the files for ChaosEdit.

Yes I think it turned out quite well, no doubt. Smile

Even better would be if I could get files for MapEdit upon an email. Is that possible?

Oh and where can I find that post-Hitler leader it talked about in the ending text? Is that from the 2007 G&G? I played that but can't remember what the boss was. And finally I noticed a very distinct pattern to the levels (in terms of level number) you can reach secret levels from. I won't give it away since that may spoil it for others. But was such a pattern intentional?
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I only made files for ChaosEdit. MapEdit probably won't support G&G because all 512 definitions are used.

I could totally send you the map making files if you like. I'd prefer sending it to someone that wants to make a map or two for the mappack release, but if you're just cruious and want to see what's all in the game, I guess it's alright. I just need an email address to send the files to.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Metalor wrote:I only made files for ChaosEdit. MapEdit probably won't support G&G because all 512 definitions are used.

I could totally send you the map making files if you like. I'd prefer sending it to someone that wants to make a map or two for the mappack release, but if you're just cruious and want to see what's all in the game, I guess it's alright. I just need an email address to send the files to.

It's late night right now, but I may send at some point this week.

And I also left a couple questions of "trivia" as well. You could message me their answers if you don't want them public. Smile I won't share anything you ask me not to.

p.s. It would be so cool if this community pack got back on its feet because I so wonder what other mappers could do with all these resources at their hands!
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Just ask me any of your questions in your email and I'll answer them there.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks, sent email. Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 am

Looks very nice, but the "leaf/forest" ceiling textures don't work for me at all. I'll still give it a shot when I have time though.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:36 am

It doesn't work for you Wizzie? Be more specific. Does it rub you the wrong way or they don't show up?
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:37 am

I think he's saying that he just doesn't like my texture choice is all. It's too bad, letting the textures make your decision of playing the game for you. (Truth be told I never liked the textures in Double Trouble, but that never stopped me from playing it. Good stuff, that.)
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah there are a few textures I don't like in Double Trouble either, but I simply ignored them. Same goes for the original Wolf3d textures.
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:40 pm

With the Walkthrough just about half-completed at this point, I've started working on something for those of you still checking out the game, giving it a go, and just providing mild interest in my project.

As of two days ago, I've begun work on another EXE build for Guns and Glory 0.5, and it has already neared completion (all of the features I've set out to add have been implemented, I just need to test them and whatnot).

I decided to make this build simply because I love customization, and I want people to play my game and enjoy it. With the new features I've implemented, I'm certain the game will garner new attention, and perhaps spike interest in making maps for the community map release set (which still has only 3 completed maps, 2 of which are by me).
    Anyways, I don't want to keep players in the dark about what to expect so here's a short summary to explain what the changes I've made are.

*First of all, the changes I've made are not mandatory for playing the game. You're free to play with or without them. What I mean by this is that I've added a new "Game Customization" menu inside the Controls Menu with ten options to allow players to customize certain aspects about the game. They act much in the same way as the Shading and Crosshair toggles work, as implemented in previous builds, however, instead of merely changing or correcting some graphical aspects of the game, these functions change how the game itself plays.

The features include the following:
    * Player Projectiles are half-sized. This means that the game now considers the player's projectiles to be half their size, and are thus smaller. This makes it so that the player's projectiles are less likely to hit blocking objects. However, there's a double-edged nature to this, as now the player's projectiles are less likely to hit enemies unless aimed really well. So, less likely to hit objects, but less likely to hit enemies, so it's a compromise. A possible plus side to this feature is that it will prompt players to improve their aim and sharpshooting, making the basic gameplay pathetically east if mastered (or at the very least, easier than with this feature toggled on).

* Enemy projectiles are half-sized. This one acts basically the same way as the above feature, except it makes enemies projectiles smaller. This one can actually be quite useful, as it makes dodging enemy fire much easier (projectiles can actually take up 1/3 of either the left or right of your screen and still not hit you if this is toggled). A fine choice for those that have trouble dodging enemy fire.

* Super Backpacks. This feature allows backpacks to max out the ammo capacities of all of your weapons (to a maximum of 99 ammo for each weapon). Just imagine how with this toggled, you can carry around 99 Stielhandts.

* Always Automap. With this toggled, the Automap will always function, regardless of what difficulty you're playing on.

* Enemies can't pick up health. Remember the good ol' days of Wolfenstein, when enemies couldn't pick up health items? Well, return to those glory days of yore by toggling this, and enemies will no longer be able to restore that hard-delivered battle damage.

* Enemies die in one hit. Now this feature has a tendency to cause some game-destroying havoc (such as when you use it to rely on fighting bosses), but aside from some muck in the secret levels, this feature should enable players to deal with even the hardest difficulty with ease. Toggling this can make the game pathetically easy, but also can rob the game of the actual fun. Use this feature only when you're playing simply to go crazy or whatever.

* Receive an Extra Life for every 40,000 points. Guns and Glory 0.5 is hard. One of the reasons may be that you have to get 100,000 points for a stinkin' extra life. Rectify that by toggling this feature, and you'll never run out of extra lives again.

* Guards give points when killed. This feature makes it so that regular enemies will give points when killed, much like the original Wolfenstein. Makes it easier to get the aforementioned extra lives, in case you don't want a 40k 1-up bonus, but you still want to get some benefit for your trials.

* Survival Mode. More like an extra difficulty level without actually making it one, this feature sets all damage that you receive to 1, but you can't pick up health, armor, or gain any extra lives. Alone, this feature seems pretty insane (much less, impossible to actually beat the game using), but with the next feature (and maybe enemies die in one hit), it won't seem so insane:

* Play like original Wolfenstein. That's right, toggle this to do away with all of the flying projectiles, flippin' 20 health and armor, and no hitscan weapons. Toggling this feature allows all of your bullet weapons to behave the way they did in the original, and also gvies you a huge health and armor boost (capping at 99). Most enemies will also attack like they used to, and aside from certain foes (such as Schabbs, who always used projectile weapons), it should help to simulate the original playing experience.

To get a full original experience, toggling: "Play like original Wolfenstein," "Guards give points when killed," "Receive an extra life for 40,000 points," and "Enemies can't pick up health" should do the trick.

Currently, none of the features are barred from use, so one can essentially make the game pathetically easy and, (dare I say it?) boring. Thus, I'll likely implement ways to make the play have to work to activate certain features (such as the Enemies die in one hit feature, that's a game breaker).

So, comments? Tell me what you think. Should a feature stay, should it go? Or just perfect what I've already implemented thus far and send it in?
    JDMGD0
    JDMGD0
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Number of posts : 94
    Job : Professional Napper
    Hobbie : Napping of course :P
    Registration date : 2013-06-21

Post by JDMGD0 Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 am

Well, to be honest I've never played the mod. However I think it's interesting to add those features only if they are not mandatory, as you proposed. It might help a Wolf3d n00b (yay me Razz) to complete this mod!
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Metalor Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Yes, Guns and Glory 0.5 as is, is very difficult. This will probably be the last modification I make to the EXE, so if it allows some fresh players to play it, then I've succeeded in what I've set out to accomplish.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am