Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+16
KasuPL
stathmk
Dark_wizzie
wolfie
WolferCooker
-Cobra-
ronwolf1705
Tragos2d
Metalor
Nexion
linuxwolf
Per-Scan
dosfan1990
Thomas
aarach
Mortimer
20 posters

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf

doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Empty [Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf

Post by doomjedi Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Beta 2 released!

Splitwolf beta 2 - from 25.11.2012

(video of pre-Beta 1....meaning old)

New in this version:

Support of more Wolf3D/Spear versions, new art and animations (including (but not only) new Boss art by Untrustable), many bugfixes (including art fix of the famous "missing frame"), tweaks and changes based on user feedback to improve the coop experience (for example player 1 is now intuitively on the right screen etc....have fun discovering the rest of the tweaks yourself), tweaks of one of the Boss fights (find out yourself why it's not a good idea to die during that one)...and more things you have to discover yourself Smile

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Beta2_1

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Beta2_2

SplitScreen for up to 4 players in cooperative mode on a single PC!!! (SDL)
    Support for both vertical and horizontal splitscreen!
    Minimap/radar support.

Coding: LinuxWolf
    Additional art: DoomJedi
    New Boss art by Untrustable
    Beta testing by HexaDoken

Readme:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 am; edited 17 times in total
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Empty they dont cut the grass anymore is bizarre

Post by Nexion Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 pm

For the 3-player thingy, just curiousity cause some games like to solve it different due to uneven number. DeathTrigger had splitscreen more than a year ago but due to lack of anything it stayed crippled.
    How many people/members were eaten alive till now by all (Team R.) projects together?
    And do you have any tips how to lure programmers and mappers into the caves of others?
    It seems to rain programmers somewhere.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Empty Re: [Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf

Post by doomjedi Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 am

Nexion wrote:For the 3-player thingy, just curiousity cause some games like to solve it different due to uneven number.
    Currently we are aiming on bugless support of 2 players only. Even the second player is a challenge for an average Wolfer to find nowdays....not to mention 2 or 3 more "ready to play Wolf" friends.
    Not to mention the obvious challenge to play more than 2 people on single keyboard.

How many people/members were eaten alive till now by all (Team R.) projects together?
    What do you mean by "eaten alive"? We don't "eat" noone Smile

And do you have any tips how to lure programmers and mappers into the caves of others?
    We don't "lure" people. The best way to be an attactive team is to make good mods and interesting projects people want to join.
    If you ask particulary for AlumiuN case - he is not new to "Team RayCast", being an old "Team RayCast" member who was the main coder of "Sonder". After he lost Sonder source (in the start of 2010) which we barely recovered at the time, losing at least 3 month of work) and almost led to project's cancellation (even before the buzz) - he somehow left Wolf3D scene, and we needed to hire new coders at the time, Andy helped, and later Havoc, till we re-created "lost" features and even added many new ones.

In recent days I decided to visit "old" MSN Messenger, which I don't use for a long time, which was my main contact to him after he "left" our forums...and I saw him online...we chatted and I offered him to help our projects.

And we don't just accept everyone into the team. AlumiuN proved himself as a capable, hard-working and creating coder, and you could see it even from Sonder trailer. At the old times, lack of proper backups was his only downside, but now he promiced to backup everything, so I saw no reason he can't join. Otherwise SplitWolf would needed to wait till LinuxWolf finishes our main project + "No Man's Land".

It seems to rain programmers somewhere.
    That's an illusion.
    We have only 2 active coders (LinuxWolf and AlumiuN) on 4 projects (main mod, 2 batmod sequels and SplitWolf).
    Doesn't sounds like "rain of programmers" to me.
    Havoc left "Team RayCast" after finishing Sonder, as was pre-agreed with him.
    Andy is a "secondary coder" at most, after helping Sonder - he doesn't take active part in any of main ("big") team projects and is currently coding one other (5th) team project (a smaller one). He sometimes acts as a betatester - like in the case of "Batman vs. Bane".
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Empty Small WolfLand

Post by Nexion Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:36 am

Don't worry about people being eaten alive, i'm not hungry for now. Just wondered number-wise how many people were involved from Femstein era till recent stuff.

That was an interesting read.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Empty Re: [Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf

Post by doomjedi Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:43 am

Don't worry about people being eaten alive, i'm not hungry for now. Just wondered number-wise how many people were involved from Femstein era till recent stuff.
    Count yourself:

Femstein - DoomJedi and WLHack (and Vermil as external advisor)
    Sonder - DoomJedi, Dean, RonWolf, Havoc, AlumiuN, Tricob, Andy and Vermil (as external adviser). There were also some Beta-Testers, but I won't list them here (as I'm not sure they want to be publically known for having Sonder copy)
    Batman vs Bane - DoomJedi, LinuxWolf, RonWolf, Lozer_42, and Dean + Andy for betatesting.
    SplitWolf: DoomJedi,LinuxWolf and AlumiuN. Full release will have art contributions by Untrustable, and betatesting credit for HexaDoken.
    Our main unannounced project: Had involvement and coding by WSJ, till LinuxWolf replaced him. Currently it's DoomJedi, Dean, RonWolf, LinuxWolf (mainly)

Also Lemm was involved with one other project.

But yes....sometimes I indeed feel that "Team Raycast" soon will swallow the whole Wolf3D community, heh Smile
    Not to mention us hosting quite some Wolf3D projects of other people, we hosted Metalor's last project for example.
    Our forum is quite popular as well, though most of it's areas are private for development.

Regarding LinuxWolf - he was here on the forum and nobody noticed him or gave him a chance. I noticed him and after seeing his work - he is the coding "star" of "Team RayCast" now.
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 160
    Hobbie : Games
    Registration date : 2011-12-25

Post by linuxwolf Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:29 pm

I knew little about Wolf3D mod development before joining Team RayCast. I made up for it with a strong discipline in programming and willingness to learn new things. I had plenty of spare time to tinker with the game and DoomJedi was good enough to include me in the team.

DoomJedi got me working on the Batman Vs Bane project. When I first fired it up I was simply blown away. The team had already done a tremendous job on the maps, art and sound. All it needed was some solid programming support. I filled that need and the project became a great success (well, by Wolf3D standards anyway).

Team RayCast is always looking for new and talented programmers. We have lots of exciting projects in the works. Talk to DoomJedi if you are interested in helping out! Smile
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 Empty Once upon a time...

Post by Nexion Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 am

Didn't catch the one about hosting other projects like Metalor's one. I appreciate the answers and the way you answered. Some back-to-the-future tale and informative especially regarding the new stuff. More or less what I was counting up to, well rather less. And good to hear about the possibilities.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 am

Nexion wrote:Didn't catch the one about hosting other projects like Metalor's one
    Our "Team RayCast" (PHPBB3) forum offers wolfers to host their in-dev. projects and gives/assigns them their own private dev. sub-forum with controlled access - only for team members of that project. We have a whole forum area dedicated for such.
    Those projects are not "Team RayCast" projects, but hosted projects of other wolfers and/or teams, and some indeed used the opportunity, like Metalor.
    In general, after projects are released - the related dev. sub-forum is deleted if stops being active + it's removal is approved by the project makers.

Unless those members are also "Team RayCast" members - they don't get access to our own project dev. areas of the forum.
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2012-04-05

Post by Metalor Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:10 am

Yep, we had a whole grand time talking over the project in the secret Guns and Glory forum. There were only like 2 posters, but the post count was easily in the hundreds.

I'd say it's a good spot to do some feedback and testing with fellow Wolfers.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm

we had a whole grand time talking over the project in the secret Guns and Glory forum.

Yeah. And I was the only one that was the most active with playing Guns and Glory (apart from you of course Metalor)
    Metalor
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2012-04-05

Post by Metalor Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:31 pm

At least you won the contest! Wink
    -Cobra-
    -Cobra-
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2012-07-04

Post by -Cobra- Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Any news on the upcoming release? silent
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry to say, but no (beside new art that is still being made by Untrustable)

LinuxWolf currently works hard on 2 other team projects (though plans to get back to SplitWolf after those), AlumiuN joined to help, and he is a great coder, but thus far he didn't do anything, being busy with his life. One other top-coder was offered the position, but he is too busy as well.
    So (unless AlumiuN will start showing some work) the project waits for LinuxWolf to finish preliminary (aka "phase 1") coding for "Batman: No Man's Land" and (+) the main mod of "Team RayCast". By "preliminary" I mean not a full coding, but enouph to allow mapping.

If there is a capable coder (with a proven resume) who has the time and wants to help - PM me or LinuxWolf. Even better - Linuxwolf.
    Tragos2d
    Tragos2d
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 140
    Job : Pouring gasoline on fires.
    Hobbie : Talent is so unpopular...
    Registration date : 2011-07-06

Post by Tragos2d Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Wow I almost missed this post... Like what I see! Split-screen Wolf is a step in the right direction concerning multiplayer.

I'm very busy learning C++ and making my art but perhaps at some point in the future I may start messing around with Wolf3d again. I made some great progress with Birgers WinROTTgl port but I refuse to reveal anything until after his next release which expands model support to a variety of new formats. Very Happy !!!
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Wow, thanks Smile
    Tragos2d
    Tragos2d
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Tragos2d Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am

Just sat down and played it. This is exactly how I imagined Wolf would play cooperatively. My only minor nitpick is that it feels too smooth. How can I make Wolf4sdl mimic the speed of the original Dos version of Wolf3d running on a 486? Most people probably wouldn't care about doing this but it would help fulfill the illusion I'm back in the 90's. Smile

Great work on the 8 sided sprites. During the firing animation of the machinegun a frame is missing on one of the rotations. I haven't managed to grab a screen of it but a WOLF4SDL texture briefly appears. Again congrats, this project is worth keeping an eye on.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Tragos2d wrote:This is exactly how I imagined Wolf would play cooperatively.
    Oh man, this is so nice to hear.
    cheers

My only minor nitpick is that it feels too smooth.
    Smile Smile
    If this is the only nitpick - I can die happy Smile

Great work on the 8 sided sprites.
    Thanks Smile
    This was not all the art I made for it, and the rest might go into full version or into a separate SplitWolf modding pack (note that even now you can freely create custom maps for it)...also the full version will have more art by Untrustable, there is sure alot of things to wait for. You can google his nick and see the new art BTW, it was publically posted in his threads.

During the firing animation of the machinegun a frame is missing on one of the rotations. I haven't managed to grab a screen of it but a WOLF4SDL texture briefly appears. Again congrats, this project is worth keeping an eye on.
    Yeah, we're aware of that one . Will be fixed in the final release.
    (you've missed many other bugs we got feedbacks for, those are listed and will be fixed)

The good news are, that as all new SplitWolf art are external artfiles in a "lwmp" subfolder - you can in 2 secs easily fix it on your side, just by duplicating the nearby frame.

Team RayCast dev. forum wrote: Missing player frames - SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK4 (dir4 folder, copy of SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK2) and SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNREADY (dir4 folder, copy of SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK2 )

Just duplicate Smile
    Tragos2d
    Tragos2d
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Tragos2d Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:46 pm

B.J's strafing speed is godike if you strafe with the mouse. Perhaps a maxspeed setting or delay in the code can address this. Sorry if this already was mentioned. (didn't read entire post above)

I must know if you play on adding any type of LAN or Netplay? Very Happy

I understand the basics of socket programing for C++ but I'm not up to such a task alone. How exactly does the AI handle itself when it tracks more than one player? This must have required an extensive re-write of the game logic. Does the AI simply pick who is the closet during the loop or does it perform a more advanced line of sight routine?

Anyone here use Teamviewer? If so I think it's possible via remote viewing to mimic a multiplayer match. Although I'm unsure if Teamviewer allows the "viewer" to enter in keystrokes of the viewee's machine. Anyone care to try this out?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Tragos2d wrote:B.J's strafing speed is godike if you strafe with the mouse. Perhaps a maxspeed setting or delay in the code can address this. Sorry if this already was mentioned. (didn't read entire post above)
    Added to the list.
    "Fix/improve" list is now 22 items long Smile

I must know if you play on adding any type of LAN or Netplay? Very Happy
    We've adressed this issue before.
    As you've noticed - the basis of multiplayer handling is there, and sure, in the future, it's a good base for such project, and no doubts we all would LOVE to see true Wolf3D multiplayer....but currently no, our first goal is the release full-version SplitWolf. Before that's done - no netplay work is planned to be made.

I understand the basics of socket programing for C++
    For more reference - "Skulltag" code can be looked at.

How exactly does the AI handle itself when it tracks more than one player? This must have required an extensive re-write of the game logic. Does the AI simply pick who is the closet during the loop or does it perform a more advanced line of sight routine?
    No, it doesn't pick the closest, it's a routine written by LinuxWolf. Enemies change targets based on a less "strict" criteria, to create less predictable gameplay.

Anyone here use Teamviewer?
    Yes.

If so I think it's possible via remote viewing to mimic a multiplayer match.
    Very original idea, didn't think of it.
    Indeed, it might be possible, but as you know - TeamViewer screen colors/quality is much worse over TeamViewer.

Although I'm unsure if Teamviewer allows the "viewer" to enter in keystrokes of the viewee's machine.
    It does.

Anyone care to try this out?
    Sure, can be nice idea.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 am

The project is now on moddb Smile

http://www.moddb.com/mods/splitwolf
    -Cobra-
    -Cobra-
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by -Cobra- Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:46 am

doomjedi wrote:The project is now on moddb Smile

Nice! Cool

Does this mean we will see an updated beta with some improvements/fixes soon? Confusion
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 am

-Cobra- wrote:
    Does this mean we will see an updated beta with some improvements/fixes soon? Confusion
    I'm sorry to say there was no work done on this since the Beta, beside new art.
    The project will be advanced at some point, but at this point of time it's not at the top priority of LinuxWolf, who is currently working on the main mod of "Team RayCast" and is expected to work on this for at least a month or two, till it's ready for mapping. We currently don't have any project in a full mapping stage, and so this is our top priority to give mappers something to do/to advance.

After that he plans to finish working on "Batman: No Mans Land" and that might take at least 3 more months.

After that I think he plans to return to "SplitWolf".

But you can PM LinuxWolf etc...maybe the more interest he sees in "SplitWolf" - that might affect his priorities.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252

Post by ronwolf1705 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 am

But you can PM LinuxWolf etc...maybe the more interest he sees in "SplitWolf" - that might affect his priorities.

No need to do this, just let him do his stuff and have some patience.

[Beta 2 Artpack 1.0 released] SplitWolf - Page 2 MMCS0206
    -Cobra-
    -Cobra-
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by -Cobra- Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 am

I really hope this project doesn't get abandoned. =(

Could we at least get a new build with the "new art" and Missing player frames - SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK4 fix?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am

-Cobra- wrote:I really hope this project doesn't get abandoned. =(
    I hope so too. It all depends on LinuxWolf at this point and his interest - after the "cool" part is already coded in and there are just tons of more boring "bugfixes" - while other cool projects in the pipeline of "Team RayCast".
    Unless there comes a capable coder and LinuxWolf will agree to pass this project to him.
    From what I know - LinuxWolf didn't abandon the SplitScreen idea as a feature - but I don't want to talk on his behalf.

Could we at least get a new build with the "new art"
    This is a possibility (at least for those art which doesn't require additional coding). I'd still prefer LinuxWolf blessing for such a beta update. IMHO it's a fair compromise while the project is delayed. But still - it's LinuxWolf's "baby" to such a big extend that I don't see myself going against him on anything he strongly opposes.
    If people would show interest in modding the current beta - I might consider (hopefully with LinuxWolf's blessing) releasing additional art to extend the modding options of the current beta for more enemies and weapons. But this is hardly helpful unless the source is released - as otherwise it's just art per art changes.

and Missing player frames - SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK4 fix?
    As this can be fixed in 3 sec on user comp by the user itself by simple sprite duplication - don't see the rush.
    Missing player frames - SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK4 (lwmp\sprites\dir4 folder, copy of
    SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK2) and SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNREADY (lwmp\sprites\dir4 folder, copy of
    SPR_BJ_MACHINEGUNATK2 )

That said - there is no doubt any future release will have this done.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:28 am

Good news - LinuxWolf agreed to prepare a release of a new beta.
    -Cobra-
    -Cobra-
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by -Cobra- Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 am

doomjedi wrote:Good news - LinuxWolf agreed to prepare a release of a new beta.
    This is good news indeed! bounce Can't wait!
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 am

LinuxWolf started working on a new beta.
    This obviously postpones some other in-dev projects by "Team RayCast"
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Me and LinuxWolf are working on this full throttle.
    We seem to be quite inspired, and there are some neat ideas being thrown around. We'll have to see how much of those will get implemented.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:28 am

Looks nice, now if I can only find somebody to play it with...

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Things are going well.
    Most (not all, but most) bugs of first beta are already either fixed or couldn't be replicated.

But as we plan to support ...something additional.....this added a new list of coding tasks.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:02 am

Can someone list the differences between all the Wolf3D/Spear versions?Or is there existing link to that info?
    Is it VSWAP?
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 am

That's a tall order! But there are primarily three types of registered Wolf3d based on the VGA files:

Apogee 1.1
    Apogee 1.4
    GT/Activision/iD 1.4

They can be identified by the signon screen. The version number is in the lower right hand corner, the distributor's logo is on the top right (iD's logo is on the top left - and yes, on iD's version there are two iD logos). They are incompatible from a VGA file point of view, although the GAMEMAPS, VSWAPs and AUDIOT files might be compatible.

The Wolfenstein 3D Mall attempted to list all of the versions (under Original PC-> versions list), but it focused mostly on the file sizes. Looks incomplete to me.

Chris Chokan sent me this link which lists the files he has.

Here's a post I made over a dozen years ago on the subject:
    This will be a lengthy post, but I hope it might be helpful or
    interesting to some of you...

Inspecting various wolfenstein addons files, I have
    determined that there are five different "registered"
    versions in circulation:

Apogee v1.1 (6/22/92 exe is 98,402 bytes)
    Apogee v1.4 (12/3/92 exe is 110,715 bytes)
    id v1.4 (9/2/93 exe is 259,310 bytes)
    GT v1.4 (4/13/94 exe is 109,589 bytes)
    Activision v1.4 (1/27/98 exe is 108,779 bytes)

On the first menu screen, the version number is on the bottom right, and the
    picture on the top right shows the distributor's logo...the top left
    picture always has the id logo.

All VSWAPS (graphics/digitized sound) and GAMEMAPS (levels) for
    all five are compatible with each other. However, the VGAGRAPH (title screen,
    info bar, etc.) for Apogee 1.1 and 1.4 are NOT compatible with any other
    version NOR with each other. That is why VGAFILES.ZIP is offered with
    the source code - these files are actually from what I call the id version.
    The GT (Good Times) and Activision VGA files also work with the source
    code.

Having said all this, the default executable you get when you compile the
    source code is the id/GT/Activision one. The GT logo is the one
    displayed on the first menu.

You can control what version you compile by overwriting VERSION.H with a copy
    of one of the following files (I've been able to compile these three only) :

WOLFGTV.H GT version (equivalent to id and Activision)
    WOLFVER.H Apogee 1.4 version
    WOLF1VER.H Apogee 1.4 shareware version

Notes:
    By default, VERSION.H = WOLFGTV.H

The only differences that I notice between the GT and the Apogee
    compilations is the F1 key during play: Boss/DOS key for GT, help screen
    for Apogee; and the Apogee one has an extra "non-shareware" message at the
    start of gameplay.

When compiling the shareware version, to play you must use the VGA files
    from the Apogee version. Remember, the shareware is Apogee 1.4
    too!

SODVER.H and SDMVER.H would be used for Spear and its demo, respectively,
    but they do not compile. I think the released source code has wolfenstein
    video code updates, but this was not done for SoD yet. Some program called
    IGRAB still needs to be run for SoD to work, I think. Unless someone can
    figure out how to re-code this by hand....

Japanese and Spanish version code exists too, but files needed for these are
    not included with the source code.

Comments?

Andy
    All of these links and information are probably incomplete, possibly inaccurate. A better bet would be to contact Ripper or Braden "Blzut3" Obrzut (ECWolf author) who have dealt with the various versions in making their ports. They may have information on offsets for the pertinent files.

Hope this helps,
    Andy

Last edited by Andy on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed blatant error)
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 am

We've decided today, together with LinuxWolf, that (in order not to over-stall other exciting "Team Raycast" mods in development) - next "SplitWolf" version will be beta 2 (which is pretty much ready to be released, after a bit more testing) and not "full version 1.0" we originally intended to release - in particular without support of that additional thing we wanted to support.

Beta 2 will have new/more art, address different bugs and suggestions regarding previous beta, and some nice little surprises/tweaks.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:08 am

Beta 2 is ready, we try to contact our betatester to test it.

LinuxWolf plans to advance the Batman sequel now.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 am

Updated the first post with beta 2 Smile Have fun Smile

It's still a beta - we need your feedbacks.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 am

Very interesting to say the least. Do you guys plan on making/adding any optional sprites if someone were to use Splitwolf with a more advanced mod?

doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:27 am

WolferCooker wrote:Very interesting to say the least.
    Thank you very much Smile We are trying to keep you satisfied and happy Smile

Do you guys plan on making/adding any optional sprites if someone were to use Splitwolf with a more advanced mod?
    A question asked on ModDB as well...

Do you mean any particular sprites - or is it a general question?

First - I wanna say "SplitWolf" is not at a priority of "Team RayCast" for various reasons ... the fact that most of Wolfers have noone to play Wolf3D with... having less "wow" potential than our other in-work projects (and we have only one active coder that can't work on more than one mod at once)...having beta already pretty much working.... etc etc.... So don't expect full release anytime soon (and not only because we want to collect feedbacks). LinuxWolf moved to work on "Batman : No Man's Land" (noone will probably prefer "SplitWolf" over that mod), and he has another big and promicing mod after that...
    Regular mod everyone can play... and "SplitWolf" - only those who have someone to play with... so exposure-wise we tend prefer big mods/TCs.

Now back to your question.
    First - I'm not sure how you can make "SplitWolf" coding-wise to work with a more advanced mod, and not classic "vanilla" Wolf3D mappack.
    But for the sake of the discussion let's assume art is your only problem.
    I've made in the past 8-dir shooting sprites for different commonly-used Wolf3D enemies and can probably release those upon request. One can duplicate normal death frames for all the other death states of the latest beta.
    The same for intermission pics with additional commonly-used-in-mods weapons that cover basically every possible option. Art is already made and can be released (with credit) if I'll really see someone has something useful to do with it. The same for (at least most of ) 8-dir BJ sprites with additional commonly-used-in-mods weapons.

But I don't see how those are of any help (having SplitWolf source code not released)...that's the problem. Convince me Smile
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 am

In other words - without the source - you can't add new enemies or new things...only replace art-per-art existing things...so it's hard to see how new art can be usable.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 am

you can say art has something to do with it. But to be more specific, would there be optional sprites made to show BJ carrying a rocket launcher, rifle, flamethrower, etc. if someone were to add those weapons in their mod with SplitWolf in it?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am

WolferCooker wrote:you can say art has something to do with it. But to be more specific, would there be optional sprites made to show BJ carrying a rocket launcher, rifle, flamethrower, etc. if someone were to add those weapons in their mod with SplitWolf in it?
    Yes, I have all of those (and much more) already made and sitting on my comp/Dropbox...Including intermission pics (currently non-animated (but with damage levels) unlike the ones used in this beta (lots of artwork, and so I did it only for classic Wolf3D weapons actually used in the beta)), not only BJ actor sprites.
    Some BJ actor sprites do lack some frames.
    Intermission pics are the most extended and cover much more weapons than you can imagine...any weapon you can imagine for Wolf3D mod.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Oh okay that's good. Wow you thought ahead for all this.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you Smile
    Well, at some point we considered to add those new weapons to "SplitWolf" and even more than that...never mind...so I made the art...and that's why some of BJ frames went unfinished...after I saw we are not expanding "SplitWolf" to new weapons....
    I even prepared weapon HUD pics for all the weapons, from "Eisenfaust" and other mods in development...and scrapped art...
    Intermission pics are the most impressive for the weapons...hope those will be ever useful.
    wolfie
    wolfie
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 136
    Job : none
    Hobbie : video game hobbies:pumping lead into hitler's skull and reducing borons of hell to gory goo
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by wolfie Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:06 pm

just a thought:why not make it so you can fight over the internet too mabe you could add a opthoin that says netplay and you could have a screen where you tell the game rather you are useing a lan or a wireless connectoin or a modem. etc

we are all entiteled to one opinion.........MINE!
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 am

Thank you for your interest in the project.

It is obvious that everyone would like to play Wolf3D multiplayer.
    When you say "you could add a option" - it sounds so easy...which is misleading. It's not like just adding an option...it's a task of whole different level and scale that require networking knowledge, packet handling, syncing, error handling...complicated testing and lot's of work - so much that it's no coincidence no coder yet took that as a project.
    Even existing "SplitWolf" took huge amount of coding work to make, and it uses only local comp. Currently net support is not planned for "SplitWolf".

You can play multiplayer on Wolf3D zDoom remakes...there is also NetWolf alpha we are testing right now. Maybe ECWolf will have such capabilities?

I hope somebody will make faithful Skulltag Wolf3D remake, which would take it to whole other level.
    wolfie
    wolfie
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Hobbie : video game hobbies:pumping lead into hitler's skull and reducing borons of hell to gory goo

Post by wolfie Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm

doomjedi wrote:Thank you for your interest in the project.

It is obvious that everyone would like to play Wolf3D multiplayer.
    When you say "you could add a option" - it sounds so easy...which is misleading. It's not like just adding an option...it's a task of whole different level and scale that require networking knowledge, packet handling, syncing, error handling...complicated testing and lot's of work - so much that it's no coincidence no coder yet took that as a project.
    Even existing "SplitWolf" took huge amount of coding work to make, and it uses only local comp. Currently net support is not planned for "SplitWolf".

You can play multiplayer on Wolf3D zDoom remakes...there is also NetWolf alpha we are testing right now. Maybe ECWolf will have such capabilities?

I hope somebody will make faithful Skulltag Wolf3D remake, which would take it to whole other level.
    well....a man can always dream can't he Very Happy

wolfie
    wolfie
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by wolfie Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:45 pm

also another idea that may reqire a little less work i liked that you could cusumize player 2's clothes prehaps maybe you could take this a step farther and make it so you can custumize the colors of
    all the player's clothes and make your own color's as well [i have never tryed to code anything before so i don't know how much work stuff like this would take so...
    i'm just spewing out ideas i come up with as i think of them so just let me know if they seem like good ones or not].

doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm

wolfie wrote:i liked that you could cusumize player 2's clothes prehaps maybe you could take this a step farther and make it so you can custumize the colors of all the player's clothes and make your own color's as well
    First - player colors are customizable in SplitWolf within certain limited selection of colors - brown, grey, blue, green, pink, red, light blue ...sounds like enouph to fit most tastes.
    Beyond that - it's not supported natively within Wolf3D palette.
    Other colors have less shades which will lead to color loss and color depth differences between the colors.
    wolfie
    wolfie
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by wolfie Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:36 pm

doomjedi wrote:
    wolfie wrote:i liked that you could cusumize player 2's clothes prehaps maybe you could take this a step farther and make it so you can custumize the colors of all the player's clothes and make your own color's as well
    First - player colors are customizable in SplitWolf within certain limited selection of colors - brown, grey, blue, green, pink, red, light blue ...sounds like enouph to fit most tastes.
    Beyond that - it's not supported natively within Wolf3D palette.
    Other colors have less shades which will lead to color loss and color depth differences between the colors.
    i always thought while playing this mod
    that you could only change player 2's cloths...

doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:12 am

wolfie wrote:i always thought while playing this mod
    that you could only change player 2's cloths...
    ...you thought wrong Smile

From "SplitWolf" readme (readme.txt):

| Controls for Player 1 |
    |----------------------------------------------|
    | Key | Action |
    |----------------------|-----------------------|
    | Page Up | Toggle Minimap |
    | Page Down | Change Color |

| Controls for Player 2 |
    |----------------------------------------------|
    | Key | Action |
    |----------------------|-----------------------|
    | X | Toggle Minimap |
    | C | Change Color
    wolfie
    wolfie
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by wolfie Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

lol sorry about my ignorince [man i gotta start reading the readme files before i play mods JK]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am