Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil

Poll

Resident Evil VS original Alone In the Dark Trilogy

[ 1 ]
    Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_left25%Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_left50%Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_left25%Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_left0%Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_left0%Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 4
    Paratrooper Lirelou
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 8
    Job : Student
    Hobbie : Wargames, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Plants VS Zombies, Shoot-em-ups
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Empty Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil

Post by Paratrooper Lirelou Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Original Alone in the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I am sick of everyone thinking ''Survival Horror'' (The game type and the phrase'') started with Resident Evil. It started with Alone in the Dark as ''Ambient Survival Horror'', or even if you want to go back the ''Horror'' thing was done with Sweet Home, but in no way besides graphics was Resident Evil ANYTHING new. Lets look at a few things Resident Evil blatantly copied from Alone In The Dark, and even a few inferiorities.
    1) Things copied: Hellhounds, Zombies, Scare Scenes, the Engine, the Mansion, the list goes on. Really, for such a ''Revolutionary'' game, Resident Evil sure seems to be quite a lot like AITD.

It even has some major downfalls to AITD, mainly being:
    1) You can use just about any item as a weapon, chuck it at the enemy!
    2) If you happen to be unarmed, you can still fight like a man, using your fists and feet to down any foe.
    3) You can save anywhere! and
    4) Almost Unlimited Inventory space!

More Explanation on Combat
    I would rather play Alone in the Dark instead of RE when fighrting undead because RE's melee combat system is so poor developed. Even with a knife you will get slaughtered easily as the knife does so little damage and barely pushes enemies away enough for them not to be able to reach you with strikes. Don't get me started on how all you can do when unarmed is push the zombies away and you have no way of even slightly hurting enemies in the game unarmed. Alone In the Dark on the other hand probably has the best melee combat system of any traditional survival horror game. You can pick up a variety of items around you to use as a weapon such as a hard stick. You can throw objects such as vases or empty hard boxes to hurt and/or push enemies away from coming close to you. Unlike Resident Evil where you only have one basic strike with the knife that does almost no effective force against enemies, in Alone in the Dark you have a variety of different strikes to hurt your enemy with a melee weapon from a left slash to slice from the top of the enemies' forehead. You can combine these strikes in a deadly combo. By combining strikes you hit faster and harder than if you repeatedly do one type of blow. Plus different strikes hit enemies in different angles more effectively such as a left strike hitting almost all enemy attacking you from the left and a strike from above only hurting the enemy in front of you. Your characters hit so hard that it is always guaranteed your enemy will recieve good amounts of damage and be pushed back significantly (around 2 feet away from you) even with an individual strike not unlike those **** knife attacks in RE. Calculating range and using different attacks in different ranges is a must in these game as if must opponents get too close before you could land a blow you are certain to be put in jeopardy. The variety of strikes in the game are best use for different ranges; the regular strike on the forehead with a sword is best for enemies feet away while the right strike is better to use if enemies get close to you in punching range.

Plus the best thing in Alone in the Dark's combat system that is never implemented in traditional survival horror games: an unarmed combat system that actually works!

With your character in the game being well trained and proficient in the French martial art of Savate, you will never have to worry when you run out of ammo (unless you are fighting bosses or special creatures)! You have the ability to kick and throw hooks. Unarmed combat works similar to using a weapon; you have a variety of different strikes and combining these different punches and kicks enable you hit faster and harder than if you repeatedly do one type of blow. Like using a weapon doing the different punches and kicks are more effective in different angles and the different Savate techniques do best in different ranges; a right hook and left hook obviously hits left and right while a foutte(Savate version of roundhouse) is better against opponents chargins straight at you. Fouettes are the best strike against far away opponents but are almost suicidal in close range while hooks are the best attacks in punching range and grappling range. Basically your character in AITD is deadly in martial arts.

The second AITD games improves the combat system even more; hooks are replaced by much quicker jabs and straight punch and the fouette is replaced by the slower but much more powerful Reverse Lateral (Crescent Kick in Savate). A headbutt attack was even added for grappling range combat!

Alone In the Dark is pretty much the only survival horror game where you have a chance of surviving unarmed.

Story
    Alone In the Dark is also vastly superior to RE in story. This is why:
    Story: Wow, deep stuff for a survival horror game like this. No rabid zombies running around because rats had a virus or other blasphemy like that. AITD pulls it's story from the mythos of the ''Others''. An HP Lovecraft tale. It takes place as either Edward Carnby (No, not Keanu Reeves from the fourth game, the fat guy with the mustache!) or Emily Hartwood. The game plays identical really with both characters. They both want to get the hell out of Derceto (Cool name eh?) Mansion.

Innovation
    Up to this time, the only decent ''True 3d'' game had been The Terminator by Bethesda Softworks, which all used monochrome polygons. No such thing as texture mapping back then. In alone in the dark though, if you do look hard enough, there is a SMALL bit of texturing, such as on the doors. It may be poor, but it IS there. Anyways, at the time, the look and fluidity of the graphics were honestly something to write home about, they made the game lifelike. Plus lots of things in RE and other Survival Horror games such as the fixed camera angle and emphasis on puzzles were first pioneered and mastered by the Original Alone in the dark Trilogy.

A neat innovation also was the fact you could prevent almost all enemy encounters by pushing a cabinet over a window so hellhounds cannot jump in, or simply closing a door behind you (Although, some ghouls will open the door and just waltz right in on you). Pretty much AITD was the first action Adventure game where you could use your environment to set traps or block enemy path ways and avoid enemy encounters.

And to say Resident Evil perfected AITD, thats a longshot watson... Anyone here agree AITD is the best Survival Horror and is superrior to RE in every way?
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Empty Re: Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil

Post by jayngo26 Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:03 am

Wow. You actually pulled me out of hiding with this poll/topic. You put a lot of thought and effort into your comments, so I will bite.

I chose Resident Evil, since OVERALL, it's my favorite video game series ever made. I will be truthful and say I have never played the ORIGINAL Alone in the Dark (I did play about 10 minutes of that worthless piece of crap made a year or so ago). I have read much about the original ALONE in the Dark and I understand that RE did take some elements from it. But to knock RE for saying it ripped off so much from AITD is silly. You might as well say that Avatar did the same thing. It was basically a re-telling of Dances With Wolves, albeit in a sci-fi setting this time. The point is, with so much creative work already done it is really hard to come up with COMPLETELY new ideas. You can take almost any piece of work created today and find themes in it from other released work. You should just simply realize that the creators of said work were inspired to make their form of work because of their love for previously released stuff. In this case, the creators of RE no doubt respected and used AITD as a basis for lot's of their stuff.

To say that the RE story is weak is not accurate in my opinion. It wasn't "rats" that started the original outbreak either. I actually like the story of the RE series. Especially how Albert Wesker is involved in all of it.

From what you have said it sounds like AITD had some pretty creative ways to stay alive, and that's cool. Obviously I have loved RE but the next installment needs to add the ability to move while aiming! It's very archaic in that sense.

Even though I love RE as a series, I have to admit that the last few releases have gotten away from the "Survival Horror" term, which saddens me.

I feel that this topic you created needs to seriously add games like Dead Space and maybe even Alan Wake (although the latter is a little more of a psychological thriller). IMHO, Dead Space IS the scariest game I have ever played. I have played the game multiple times and I still have a sense of dread upon me every time I play it.

In the end, while I don't agree with many of your points you made about RE, I do like the idea that you brought this topic up! As one of the undead myself, it really makes me feel loved!

Keep on walkin' Zombys Zombys Zombys Zombys Zombys

BTW, you really should consider joining the Usergroup "Jayngoites" on this forum. All undead seem to flock there...

http://jayngoware.com/
    Paratrooper Lirelou
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 8
    Job : Student
    Hobbie : Wargames, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Plants VS Zombies, Shoot-em-ups
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Empty I respect your opinion

Post by Paratrooper Lirelou Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:28 am

jayngo26 wrote:Wow. You actually pulled me out of hiding with this poll/topic. You put a lot of thought and effort into your comments, so I will bite.

I chose Resident Evil, since OVERALL, it's my favorite video game series ever made. I will be truthful and say I have never played the ORIGINAL Alone in the Dark (I did play about 10 minutes of that worthless piece of crap made a year or so ago). I have read much about the original ALONE in the Dark and I understand that RE did take some elements from it. But to knock RE for saying it ripped off so much from AITD is silly. You might as well say that Avatar did the same thing. It was basically a re-telling of Dances With Wolves, albeit in a sci-fi setting this time. The point is, with so much creative work already done it is really hard to come up with COMPLETELY new ideas. You can take almost any piece of work created today and find themes in it from other released work. You should just simply realize that the creators of said work were inspired to make their form of work because of their love for previously released stuff. In this case, the creators of RE no doubt respected and used AITD as a basis for lot's of their stuff.

To say that the RE story is weak is not accurate in my opinion. It wasn't "rats" that started the original outbreak either. I actually like the story of the RE series. Especially how Albert Wesker is involved in all of it.

From what you have said it sounds like AITD had some pretty creative ways to stay alive, and that's cool. Obviously I have loved RE but the next installment needs to add the ability to move while aiming! It's very archaic in that sense.

Even though I love RE as a series, I have to admit that the last few releases have gotten away from the "Survival Horror" term, which saddens me.

I feel that this topic you created needs to seriously add games like Dead Space and maybe even Alan Wake (although the latter is a little more of a psychological thriller). IMHO, Dead Space IS the scariest game I have ever played. I have played the game multiple times and I still have a sense of dread upon me every time I play it.

In the end, while I don't agree with many of your points you made about RE, I do like the idea that you brought this topic up! As one of the undead myself, it really makes me feel loved!

Keep on walkin' Zombys Zombys Zombys Zombys Zombys

BTW, you really should consider joining the Usergroup "Jayngoites" on this forum. All undead seem to flock there...

You a survival horror junkie? So am I! What other survival horror do you play?Currently Iam playing Amnesia:The Dark Descent(awesome games you should check it out)!

I understand why you love RE. Same reason why I lova AITD(first survival horror I played and I been following this series). As for how I rant about AITD being better than RE, its really nothing series just fanboy ranting LOL!

Off topic,have you ever played Thief?Wait till you see the Thief VS Metal Gear Solid Thread where Iam extremely serious and will really have my fanboyism pumping, LOL!
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark

Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Empty Re: Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil

Post by jayngo26 Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 am

Yes, I love survival horror stuffs. And I understand your geeking out over something you love in AITD. I do it all the time too. Currently I am playing Dead Space (for about the 6th or 7th time) on Impossible mode. That game never gets old. I have played every RE game except those silly rail gun shooter versions. My favorite RE games are as follows in order:

Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil (Gamecube Remake)
    Resident Evil:Code Veronica
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil 0

And yes, I LOVE Thief games. I have played Thief:Deadly Shadows many, many times. I can't wait until the latest one gets released. In fact, Thief:Deadly Shadows is one of only a few original xbox games I still own. It's great.

Let me know how Amnesia:Dark Descent is. I believe it's only for PC and I'm not even sure if my 2004 model would even come close to running it...

Valts
    Valts
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 384
    Job : Student (Estonian University of Life Sciences)
    Hobbie : reading, history, poker, billiard and snooker, gaming
    Registration date : 2007-05-16

Post by Valts Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:28 am

Well, I like too survival horror games. I recommend Penumbra series games. But RE and Alone in the Dark. Sadly I have played only RE 3:Nemesis, wchich I really liked (game was puzzles, and great atmosphere). Alone in the Dark played only first game, but was really scary. in DOS games I recommend Veil of Darkness, it combines adventure, action and great puzzles. If you have Doom II, then try The City Of The Damned - Apocalypse by Tormentor667.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 am

Valts wrote:Well, I like too survival horror games.
    Sorry, I don't like horror. pale Don't you guys get scared playing those games?

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Original Alone In the Dark Trilogy VS Resident Evil Empty Horror 3D - Spill Some Nitemares

Post by Nexion Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:31 am

Get the umbrella, it's raining biohazard thingys. Illbleed! How about some Clock Tower 1 when it's anti-time time, Isle of the dead or Zombi for my Amiga? Nocturne is way more groovy than any Resident Evil or Alone in the dark in my opinion.

Resdient Evil 1&2 are awesome. Same goes for staying alone in the dark the 3rd time. But they all have awful game/fight mechanics which would make even Tetris a survival horror game. Oh well Resident Evil series went to trash bin after part 2 anyways. The newer parts are more like save the princess, it's disco time, comedies. Already wondered if they copied Lord of the Rings in part 4...

The evil residents lost the mantle of horror after their 2nd visit while Alone in the Dark never had any lonesome horror covered in darkness. And Alone the Dark was even more flat than Wolf3d (oh nitemare 3d for the sake of it.. well noah's ark 3d is way more spooky) even if it had real 3d objects. It was just a walk on a 2d gallery. Resident Evil Gun Survivor was awesome trashy fun. Kinda like Superman goes rampage in kindergarten.

After all Resident Evil is just a well made cheap Alone in the Spotlight rip off. Rather lurk around the quiet Silent Hill to encounter the darkness in the dark. While even spilling some blood in blood can be terribly shocking at times. But as i see you being a Sailor Moon hobby Warrior i can guess where the real horror takes place.
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by jayngo26 Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:44 am

Oh boy. The Anti-Time Thief has sprung out from the secret Black Hole he was hiding in.

I heard about Clock Tower but never actually played that. And I have also never played Silent Hill games-although I did play the demo of the 4th game I believe. It started out in your room and it was very creepy...

I wonder how everyone feels about Indigo Prophecy. I think that's a great game that only found a small market of success. While not true survival horror, it was fresh, fun, creepy, tripped out, and had new control schemes for the times.

@Nexion-I love your comment about the clunky RE controls rivaling Tetris. Hehehe. I was just playing RE5 last night with a friend and I'm still amazed that you cannot aim AND move at the same time. I still think you need to check out Dead Space. I know you said in the past you don't own any modern consoles, but Dead Space is solid. You should try finding a way to play it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am