Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you?

Poll

Do you think the amount of backtracking from key to key door in this add on was way too much?

[ 1 ]
    Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_left33%Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_left0%Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_left0%Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_left67%Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Bar_right [67%] 

Total Votes: 3
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Empty Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you?

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

I've already played into this addon long ago. However I stopped playing short of the end due to one issue that really spoiled it IMO: backtracking - or more like, EXTREME backtracking. On nearly EVERY level, it seemed to go like this: go to one end of the map to get the first key, then go to EXACTLY the opposite end for its key door, then once you have the second key you must go back probably near where the first key was (opposite side of the map entirely), and so on. In short, it seemed that EVERY time you got a key, you would have to backtrack virtually the ENTIRE map (or at least what you'd seen of it so far). That was for four keys per level, so on average you'd be running for one side of the map to the other four times, and they are big maps at that.

What's worse IMO is that there were no guards or anything, just a minute or more of running around every time you find a key. Clearly I believe this was the intent of the mod's author, because it is such a persistent feature. But this release seemed to be received fairly well nonetheless, and it even won a Dome award. So did you notice this "go from one end of the map to the other every time you get a key" issue, and if so, did it bother you/taint the set overall as it did for me?

Regardless I really felt it was a shame, because otherwise the maps were very well put together.
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Empty Re: Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you?

Post by Dean Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I remember playing through a fair bit of this when it came out but nothing about excessive backtracking jumps out at me when I try to recall my impressions of the mod. I'm fairly certain I didn't complete the mod but found it fun to play.

You're right that it was well received when it was released but I think a fair bit of that was the fun and novelty factor of the mod, it was somewhat unique in it's look.

I'll have another look at it sometime and get back to you Smile

Last edited by Dean on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you? Empty Re: Nazis With Attitude - Extreme backtracking an off-putter to you?

Post by WolfForever Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Dean wrote:I remember playing through a fair bit of this when it came out but nothing about excessive backtracking jumps out at me when I try to recall my impressions of the mod. I'm fairly certain I didn't complete the mod but found it fun to play.

You're right that it was well received when it was received but I think a fair bit of that was the fun and novelty factor of the mod, it was somewhat unique in it's look.

I'll have another look at it sometime and get back to you Smile

No pressure. Smile But if you do decide to look into it and get back to me, that would be nice. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 am