Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+6
ronwolf1705
doomjedi
Nexion
Dean
jayngo26
Dark_wizzie
10 posters

How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever?

Poll

How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever?

[ 0 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left0%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left12%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [12%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left18%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left6%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left24%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [24%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left18%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left0%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_left24%Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 17
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Empty How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever?

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 pm

I think I've made... say, 50 Wolf3d levels, but my first few were not great. Smile (Some are in Sod, Haven Style and are not really released on the Dome, yet.)

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Empty Re: How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:00 am

Under the psuedonym of ack, I think I have released 400/500 levels in the past seven years. Toss in the ones that I released before the internet along with my archives of unreleased levels and the number gets downright silly. Along with my SoD Haven level, I am also working on a 90-level Blake Stone map set, so the number of levels will keep climbing and climbing...
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Empty Re: How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever?

Post by jayngo26 Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 am

I voted for the 10+. I really wish there would of been maybe a 25+ option though. It's hard to remember, but back when the MapEdit first came out, I made a lot of levels. I would say I hover somewhere close to the 50+ mark.

http://jayngoware.com/
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Post by Dean Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm

50+ for me that have been released. I've made quite a few more, some early ones that were bad, some that had parts taken from that became other levels and some others that I've just never used but have stored in various places.

I first thought it wouldn't have been that many but when i started to think about what mods they are in (HitlerWorld, Escape from Castle Holle, DHW mapset, Sonder plus some other contributions, that will remain secret, to others peoples mods) then the number really does start to climb.

I'm picking Thomas would be around the 1,500 - 2,000 mark!
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Empty 69 Maps Hanging In The Pub

Post by Nexion Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Raahr I think I'm close to infinity if I ever get old enough for that. I haven't reached any unholy number but i will do a shock and kill map if I reach 666 maps. So far I made about ~76 more or less. Not really much in a wide time range.Very few maps also ended up for cancelled stuff. I guess no one would miss my mapstyle anyways hehe.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:39 am

Sorry to bring up this very old topic, but it's just crossed my mind that I've approached the 1000 map mark (I think). Holy shit...

EDIT: Released/unreleased and not counting the various times I've rehashed my maps I'm afraid it's only 830 (approx.) with only just below 600 being released.

But I keep wondering - who, in this community, have made the most maps? Brian and ack have released a lot, and they probably keep better track than I (I counted 240 maps of mine that got corrupted/deleted).
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 am

I've made 7 I think...Only one was released so far - "Entrance" bonus level from "Eisenfaust" (special thanks to Dean for revisiting and rebalancing).
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:07 am

Do we have members in the community who have never attempted to make a map? It could be really, really interesting to see what they'd turn up with.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:08 am

I really have no clue how many maps exactly. There's so much unreleased stuff that I did over the years. In terms of released stuff I don't think I would get past the 100 maps, but there are some things that might just get released one day.

Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? MMCS0206
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:32 am

You could do an Archives type of mod. Sometimes that idea works - I did something the like back in the spring, and ack did two separate volumes of an Archives mod too.

So it's 'socially acceptable', so to speak. Smile But in relation to smoothness in gameplay and whether or not each map comply to one another, you need to place the maps so that they work out together in a seamless fashion. Archives did, for ack, but I personally think my own entry, "Odds and Ends" could've done with better planning.

Should you ever release an Archives mod, I'd gladly play it just to see how different you can make your maps. All I've ever really played from you were maps placed in extensively coded games such as Eisenfaust Origins.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:28 am

I guess that could work for my vanilla Wolf3d stuff, but especially in the beginning stages I tried to go for a true TC. Which basically meant I ripped off every wall that was freely available and coded every tutorial I could follow. And then map away. If I could ever find those, I'd probably be deeply ashamed by how lame I was. Laughing But an archives thing would be interesting, that's for sure. I imagine a lot of my failed Mapset maps would end up there. I already had 20 maps done for that before I started over. I remember the first level being a blatant rip-off of E4L2, except you would first escape from a prison in the middle.

Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:31 am

That's all very interesting, Ron. I think where you and I part is at the fact that you actually save your maps instead of rehashing them or delete them, either accidentally or purposely.

Hmm... And that map set you had going on back in the day. I really thought it was an awesome feature to shoot pretty much any sprite you could master. That, and the fact that back in 2006 not many people made originally based sets. So that really took the cake for me.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:46 am

you actually save your maps

Save... Never deleted might be more accurate. Though all this is assumed that I still have all my old stuff on an external hard drive somewhere, while there might be a good chance that it's actually really deleted. Laughing Which is probably for the better.

Back to the poll, I think I'll go for 100+, I work in bursts more than that I work consistently on maps. It's a creative peak and then week or months without any mapping.

Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51 am

Yes, creative peaks... A bitch, innit. I progress slightly odd - sometimes I make one map in one sitting (usually 45 minutes, an hour maybe at best) and sometimes it even click with listening to an entire album (I did level 8 for the Iron Dream while listening to Thick as a Brick) --- that sort of thing. I've begun to make much shorter maps recently, at least I think so, since Overkill has drained my former 'huge big map' politics.

I don't know what the longest stretch without making a map for me has been. One, one and a half month at best. Since I started making maps 8 years ago, I don't think I've had a big, firm break. I did a thing back in mid-2007 after releasing Castle Assault... I think... But then I started NovoWolf with Dean in the summer and it was a lot of fun (mainly because Dean's original coding came fast and bug-free, to the surprise of us both) --- I know I've tried to take breaks, but I keep coming back. I don't know what it is.

I have now decided that I will make a Lost Episodes map set (based on Mission Pack 3: The Ultimate Challenge) and see what will happen. I intend to keep the maps simple and slightly small, again, but not in the fashion so it will seem like a knockoff.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14 am

Wow, I can't even imagine finishing a map in 45 minutes. Hats off to you, sir. Even if I do a map with big areas, which are done relatively fast, it takes me atleast a couple of hours. Except for that 16x16 thing I did, that must be my all-time record. Laughing

I must try and find the Lost Episodes somewhere, all this talk about it lately and I haven't even played those bloody things. Razz

Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:58 am

16 x 16... You know, I really need to play that one. Stealth as well.

I'm still taking bids from people wanting to do a 128 x 128 map set. Anyone? *coughs*
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 am

A 128 x 128 mapset would be sick. But I never made such a map, so I kind of have to do that, right?

WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:50 am

I honestly tried to make 1 level one time. It was miles better than the maps in the Spear of Dreams series, but I thought everyone would figure out to get through all the obstacles pretty easily.

Plus I never finished it, and deleted it.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker

Post by Schabbs Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 am

Thomas wrote:Sorry to bring up this very old topic, but it's just crossed my mind that I've approached the 1000 map mark (I think). Holy shit...

EDIT: Released/unreleased and not counting the various times I've rehashed my maps I'm afraid it's only 830 (approx.) with only just below 600 being released.

But I keep wondering - who, in this community, have made the most maps? Brian and ack have released a lot, and they probably keep better track than I (I counted 240 maps of mine that got corrupted/deleted).

I've released about 450 of my maps but this includes the modified creator maps (60 made for Milly the Fox and 40 made for The Final Fight).

There's a list of my mods and others mods that have at least one of my maps in at;

http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/adds_brianlowe.htm

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

I think I'll start to play your WolfBel series now that we have Wolf4SDL. One question though: The current Wolf4SDL port only pushes secret doors 2 squares - I know I couldn't play acktung with this, since most secrets there need 3 squares to move. Is that the same in WolfBel? 'cause I would really, really love to play some of your maps again. It's been way too long.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker

Post by Schabbs Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 pm

From what I remember, the secrets in the Wolfbel series work with 2 spaces. The shareware set Blake Wolf is already in SDL.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll be all over WolfBel 2 right away.

Too bad Deadly Sleep hasn't been released in SDL! You and Arielus' maps complimented each other so well in that one. "Alliance of Powers" is another joint venture map set that works out smooth too, with ack.

Revival of Memories is also in SDL, played it not too long ago. It's really, really good!
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Post by WolfForever Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:05 pm

I made about 20 levels back in 2002 . They stink; don't bother with them unless you really desire to say you've played everything.

Back then, Spear Resurrection was probably regarded as the mono lisa of modding; I'd argue it's just as revolutionary as Totengraeber, because there were so many new features we hadn't seen before SR's advent. Both, however, are timeless classics - IMO very rightfully so.

In this day I'm a player, pure and simple.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 pm

2002? That's a long time ago! Would love to see those one day.

Anyway, I just finished my first LE map! Brand new and all!

Wolf3d - How many wolf3d levels do you think you have made, ever? Firstle
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Thomas wrote:Thanks for the information. I'll be all over WolfBel 2 right away.

Too bad Deadly Sleep hasn't been released in SDL! You and Arielus' maps complimented each other so well in that one. "Alliance of Powers" is another joint venture map set that works out smooth too, with ack.

Revival of Memories is also in SDL, played it not too long ago. It's really, really good!

Talking about Arielus, I so wish his own The Golden Episodes would arrive to SDL.

@Thomas: Looks like a good start, just don't make too many of them symmetrical. Also if you're really that interested you can find all my 2002 levels. Look for something on the Dome called "Patrick Grey's Funpack". There they are, all my horribly amateur efforts.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 pm

WolfForever wrote:

Talking about Arielus, I so wish his own The Golden Episodes would arrive to SDL.

@Thomas: Looks like a good start, just don't make too many of them symmetrical. Also if you're really that interested you can find all my 2002 levels. Look for something on the Dome called "Patrick Grey's Funpack". There they are, all my horribly amateur efforts.
    Shit, YOU're Patrick Grey? I must have bashed you a hundred times for releasing Creator set after Creator set. I did enjoy Hitler's Maze of Death though.

"Too symmetrical" is a good one, in fact TGE inspired me to make this, funny you should mention it. I too wish it would arrive in SDL one day.

Yeah, I think I'll make level 2 a bit unlike this. It's really hard for me to imagine some of those goofy textures actually being useful! What baffles me more is the presence of a storage wall with a big UAC stamp on it, as if it was ripped from DooM.

And I had no idea the pile of skulls was a block object. I'll keep that in mind...
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 pm

What baffles me more is the presence of a storage wall with a big UAC stamp on it, as if it was ripped from DooM.

I believe it was. Is it possible iD was in a hurry to get these Lost Episodes made?
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Pfff... Probably. Mind you, the Lost Episodes came out in 1994, well after DooM had been released. From what I can gather, DooM took the world by storm and kickstarted the everything-goes-much-faster-now thing in computer games. As early as 1996/97 Wolf and the Lost Episodes etc. had become obsolete and hadn't even been street legal for five years!
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Thomas wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:

Shit, YOU're Patrick Grey? I must have bashed you a hundred times for releasing Creator set after Creator set. I did enjoy Hitler's Maze of Death though.

"Too symmetrical" is a good one, in fact TGE inspired me to make this, funny you should mention it. I too wish it would arrive in SDL one day.

Yeah, I think I'll make level 2 a bit unlike this. It's really hard for me to imagine some of those goofy textures actually being useful! What baffles me more is the presence of a storage wall with a big UAC stamp on it, as if it was ripped from DooM.

And I had no idea the pile of skulls was a block object. I'll keep that in mind...

Unfortunately I didn't make Maze of Death, that's a different Patrick Grey.

I was only eleven back then, hope you can cut me a break. I don't recall you in the community then though, so I must have missed your bashing. I was pumping out junk just to pump out something, per se. I just got the thrill to get attention, when I saw myself - my maps - be them good or terrible - in the Dome news. Now I know that behavior does nothing but bring unwanted negative attention, so I hope I can be forgiven.

Re the Doom UAC crate texture it is only present after getting the spear in UC. (UC Level 21 on map)
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Sure I can forgive you, since you were just a kid. And my bashing didn't start till long after I joined the community which was 8 years ago. Wish I'd been able to join the community earlier though, if I had known what to do. My modding approach doesn't really belong in this day and age... lol...
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Now I'm interested - where did you post your bashing? Can I still find it?

Although, I'd have to imagine Creator is still like 1000x better than my handmade maps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:46 pm