Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

Question about distributing mods

printz
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-09-08

Question about distributing mods Empty Question about distributing mods

Post by printz Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:18 am

Hello to the forum Question about distributing mods Icon_smile

I'm having a couple of questions regarding distribution of Wolf3d mods, which, besides maps, change graphics and the executable. First, is the reprogrammed (registered) Wolf3d exe legally shareable? I see all the mods give it in the ZIP file, but I'm not sure if that's safe and I don't want to risk if I can help it (I'd upload a patch instead). And for that, which is the most widely used Wolf3d non-port version? 1.4 or 1.4g (what is 1.4g and where do I find the update)? What are the differences?

Also, similar question about files like VSWAP.WL6, which contain significant Wolfenstein material. If I don't replace anything, only add stuff to the game, and I upload the new VSWAP, I'd also be uploading all the copyrighted material, so the better solution would still be a patch. Do Wolfenstein patching utilities exist or do I have to write my own?

The more important question though is whether is it legal to distribute free copies of modded registered build of Wolf3d.exe, because patching that would be harder for me than WL6.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Question about distributing mods Empty Re: Question about distributing mods

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:38 pm

All I know is, Ronwolf sent me a modded exe file. And you can't play the original game with the exe file only. So I think it's legal.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:58 pm

Welcome to the forums, printz.

The Wolf3D source code was released by id software so that changes could be made to the exe so there should be no problem with including that. When it comes to the vswap etc though if any id material remains then, as you say, you'd be uploading copyrighted material. The only way to be really safe is to change all the id software material but in practice most mods have some of it left in. The only mod I know that id software has objected to is Nate Smith's Beyond Wolfenstein 2.

A modded Wolf3D exe is usually compatible with both the Activision and G versions of the full Wolf3D 1.4. In the older Apogee version though, the vga files are not compatible as the screen gets screwed up. I've not heard of any patching utilities for the vswap etc.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    printz
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-09-08

Post by printz Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 am

Then that's cool about the exe. As for the modified data files, I'll just have to learn their formats. I hope I can find documentation on their format eventually! Alternatively I can look it up in the Wolf source code? Smile
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by jayngo26 Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:07 am

The biggest thing is that you give credit to id software. I think that was the problem with Nate's game. No credit was given. So, whenever you use other people's stuff-make sure you give them credit for their work, whether it be in an included txt file or within the actual game itself... Question about distributing mods Icon_cool

http://jayngoware.com/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am